Game stores closing - no longer accepting gift cards or refunding items

I have been to game store today in meadow hall and they are closed due to debts that they owe.

I went on to the Internet found that two game stores are still open in Barnsley and crystal peaks.

I then went to Barnsley asking for a refund on two x box 360 that I put deposits on they refused saying they can't do anything until Tuesday when a final decision will be made on all game stores. Not only do they owe me fourth pounds on pre ordered Xbox console but a further sixty five pounds on gift cards that they will not accept.

So you can't us your points or use any gift vouchers you have nor can you return anything and all pre orders will not be honoured.

They owe in excess of 21million and somehow they think they may stay open!

I urge none of you to buy anything from them until there debts have been cleared.

Even after then I will never ever use them again.

No wonder the small shops are shutting if this is the kind of thing you can expect.

Im not sure what this has to do with small shops?

Game got itself into trouble a long time ago. Their debts didn't just appear overnight.

The Administrators will decide who gets a refund, if anyone. Unfortunatley when a company goes into administration all the property becomes that of the Administrator, so they are right to refuse refunds, and not honour gift cards.

Make sure you contact the appointed Administrator to lodge your claim for the money you are owed, and they will add you to the queue.

So are none of the Game stores open?

To the OP, if there is one open then I'd maybe try and buy something with your gift card. Also, did you pay your deposit in cash, on a debit card or a credit card. If a credit card - you may get something back. However, usually they have a lower compensation limit of £50 or £100 (and an upper limit of about £20k).

G

GAME has been talked about as being in trouble for quite some time, those people who didnt run down balance on gift cards only have themselves to blame, IMO.

What is even more disgusting was the people on Facebook going mad because they had a few quid in "Reward Points" unspent. I think the loss of thousands of jobs is a bit more important than points you got for free.

Some perspective needed from some people IMO.

I've said on other threads, but in this economic climate, it's more appropriate than ever - don't buy vouchers and gift cards. I'll never forget so many disappointed kids who were trying to cash in their christmas/birthday vouchers when Zavi went in to administration - they hadn't got a hope - but yet they were still open for business. Cash is king in these times.

So are none of the Game stores open?

To the OP, if there is one open then I'd maybe try and buy something with your gift card.

NONE of the open stores are accepting gift cards as payment at the moment.

Game's woes have been in the news for a while so these issues shouldn't be much of a surprise. Mind you, to be fair to the OP and anyone else who is in a similar situation, as inevitable and foreseeable as it may have been, I don't suppose that makes it any less annoying.

I Paid cash on my pre orders a couple of weeks ago which they happily took and never warned me about as for gift cert why on earth didn't they warn people to hurry up and spend them while they could a little bit of honesty goes a long way.

I will not shop in town or meadow hall again and soon I think everyone else will be shopping online where there are much better offers and using PayPal you can get a full refund.

Archived