How can i contact HMRC without ringing 0845 number?

I dont think you'll get a 0114 number for them as their calls are all routed through a national call centre, you cant "direct dial" a specific location. If you can get to town tho they have an office on Young street where you can see someone to help you. cant you register or re-register online?

ETA

I think they have phones in the Young Street office as well that you can use to contact various departments of HMRC free of charge :)

Edited by kel-lou
added a bit!

thanks but says no alternative number found

heres the number 0845 60 55 999.

That link doesn't repeat. You have to click here:

http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

and enter part of the name or number. I typed "revenue" then searched the page for "999" and found this:

HMRC (HM Revenue & Customs/Inland Revenue)

0845 605 5999

0161 930 8445

Online Services Helpdesk Calls from: 01274 894994

It might be worth dialling "141" before the number, since some of the other HMRC numbers have a note that they block calls to the non-rip-off numbers with UK caller ID.

Is it cheaper to phone a 0161 number than a 0845..?

Yes, it's a Manchester number so national rates apply. I remember being in the same predecament as you and I'm sure I saved loads of money by calling another number and I think it was this Manchester one.

Yes, it's a Manchester number so national rates apply. I remember being in the same predecament as you and I'm sure I saved loads of money by calling another number and I think it was this Manchester one.

I know 0161 is Manchester..I thought 0845 were charged as per a local call.. I thought they would be cheaper than an STD call...

I know 0161 is Manchester..I thought 0845 were charged as per a local call.. I thought they would be cheaper than an STD call...

I don't know - I assumed the number was costing a lot more than a national number would since the OP had been charged £21 so far to call the 0845 number.