Negotiating rent with landlord. Advice needed

Hi,

We've found a good house in Sheffield. It has 3 rooms for 55pppw and 1 room for 50pppw. We are a group of 3 and can take the house for 55pppw. However, we would like to negotiate the rent down to 45 pppw. This is the email we're drafting. Any advice on it?

EMAIL 1

Hi ...,

I'd like to confirm that you also said during our viewing that the house is going to be refurbished before July, right? Can you please specify what that involves?

Thanks,

EMAIL 2

Hi ...

I've been talking to the other tenants too. They like the house, but we have been looking at other properties as well, that we might take. My friend lives in Broomhill in a house for 45pppw which is for 4 people with the 4th room being smaller, 38 pppw, bills excluded.

We have been talking to our landlord if 3 people can take that house next year, since we have had a good relationship with her throughout the year and haven't had many issues. In addition, if we take a house, we would likely stay for a long time up to 3-6 years, while our course last.

If you want, we can tell our landlord that we've found a house, stop looking for other properties and sign the contract right away at ... street for 45pppw.

Let us know what you think.

Best wishes,

if it's worth having, the landlord will let it to somebody else, at the price he wants

if it's worth having, the landlord will let it to somebody else, at the price he wants

If the landlord sets a price and the market does not entertain that price, the landlord must reduce his price to match the market.

I said - If it's worth having :rolleyes:

If he is letting you have the house for 3 people and not going to let the 4th room then he has already conceded to 'loosing' £50pw. Sounds like you have already got a good offer.:)

Tell him for £55pppw you want a cleaner for 3 hours a week :thumbsup:

Assuming you're a student. If it's a decent house somewhere like Crookesmoor and it's actually going to be refurbished, it's a steal at £55. I can't see a landlord going for £45, those houses get snapped up pretty quickly. If you have actually got a friend in broomhill for £45pppw go for that instead.

In inflation terms this is so much cheaper than it used to be. We were paying £34pppw in a basic but OK location house 20 years ago!

@ Broomhill prime location for Uni of Sheffield accommodation. I think you are pushing your luck and risk losing the house, that price at £55 pw up there is a steal, average prices with letting agents up there are between £65 and £80 even for less desirable accommodation.

I have worked in Student lettings for 6 years and being a former student i know both sides of the market.

If you really like the house £55pw is not a raw deal at all and youre lucky that if he doesnt let it as a 4 that he does not bump your rent up more to cover the loss of a 4th tenant.

G

Any landlord in Sheffield will know that either your friend with his/her £45 a week room in Broomhill is either very, very fortunate or you/they are lying. The last time rooms in Broomhill cost £45 a week was the late 1990s.