Anyone know what's happened on Barnsley Road, Pitsmoor?

I have just been to City Centre and on way back it looked like police had blocked road off at the junction with Scott Road and Barnsley Road?

Does anyone know why?

From what I can tell it looks as if a lorry carrying hazardous waste has broken down opposite Firshill school.

Due to a serious Road Traffic Accident on Barnsley Road, Sheffield (Firshill Area) buses services

in the vacinity are subject to diversion as follows:

Services 75/76/88/97/98/265 are running from Spital Hill via 20/20A route ie. Ellesmere Road/Earldom Road and Scott Road in both directions

Service 47/48 normal to Minna Road then via Cooks Wood Road, Shirecliffe Road to Southey Roundabout then via Herries Road back to to Fir Vale. (to City reverse)

Service 87 From Minna Road via Cooks Wood Road, Shirecliffe Road, Longeley Ave West then as normal from Herries Road Crossroads (to city reverse)

Service 83 missing Firshill Crescent/Avenue running up/down Cooks Wood Road to Minna Road

Service 29 running via Saville Street, Brightside Lane, Upwell Street and Page Hall

Has this been cleared yet?

I gave up trying to get to the NGH at 3pm.

The police were turning all traffic back at Pitsmoor.

Side roads also blocked off.

I have just been to City Centre and on way back it looked like police had blocked road off at the junction with Scott Road and Barnsley Road?

Does anyone know why?

i have heard a old man got knocked down by the lorry

Earlier Road Traffic Accident on Barnsley Road,

Sheffield (Firshill Area) has now cleared, buses services in the vacinity have reverted back to their normal routes. Some delays may still occur until routes get back on schedule.

There was deffenatly a road sweeping type lorry on the pelican crossing as i come up to the scene this afternoon , it was all taped of and police was taking pictures of the lorry and diverting traffic away ect, so the comments sound correct to me , even though i hope not .

Police are appealing for witnesses after a 92-year-old man suffered life threatening injuries, when his mobility scooter was involved in a collision with a HGV, on the A6135 Barnsley Road, Sheffield.

At around 11.50am today (Thursday, 8 March), a white HGV Volvo, driven by a 22-year-old Barnsley man, is believed to have been travelling along the city carriageway of the A6135 Barnsley Road.

A blue mobility scooter, driven by a 92-year-old Sheffield man, was reported to be travelling towards the city centre, along the pavement to the nearside of the HGV.

At the Pelican crossing, outside Firs Hill Community Primary School, it is believed that the mobility scooter entered the Pelican crossing, from the nearside, in front of the HGV.

It is reported that the HGV then struck the mobility scooter, pushing it along the carriageway, onto its nearside and taking it under the front of the HGV. The HGV is then believed to have stopped with the mobility scooter underneath its front axle.

The driver of the mobility scooter sustained life threatening injuries and is being treated at Sheffield Northern General Hospital.

The driver of the HGV did not sustain any injuries.

Anyone who witnessed the incident or anyone with information that could assist officers is asked to call South Yorkshire Police on 101 quoting incident number 366 of 8 March 2012.

that is so sad i do hope the old fella pulls through xx

Does anyone know why?

DOn't know

If ever there was a useless information source it's Radio Sheffield's traffic reports.

I was caught up in this at around 2.30 pm. I was trying to get to the NGH. The police were turning everyone round at Pitsmoor and sending us back down to Spital Hill.

I gave up and went home but another friend of mine went up to Hillsborough and then all the way back down Herries Rd.

I had Radio Sheffield on all the time and at 3.30pm they were still saying no accidents or holdups anywhere. Everything flowing freely.

According to Deano this all started at 11.50 am. By 2pm 12 bus routes had been diverted, Radio Sheffield still oblivious.

At 4pm Radio Sheffield finally said 3 people had phoned in to say Barnsley Rd was blocked at Firshill. Avoid the area.

Deano's post at 4.08 says the road is now clear.

So one of the busiest roads in Sheffield is blocked for 4 hours and Radio Sheffield don't say anything about it until it's been cleared.

Has anyone on here ever heard a traffic report telling them something they didn't already know that enabled them to avoid a traffic holdup?