Job quotes from qualified tradesman?

please use the term trades people we are not all men.....im a fully qualified ,insured etc tradeswoman!!!

I have advertised on here recently for some work doing and got a lot of pm's in reply's. Some where so called tradesmen not in the trade I was asking for and others was offering 'I will beat any quotation'. Well I don't tolerate the 'beat any quote' people. I am prepared to pay a decent price for the right job than take chances on people doing it cheap.

If you do pay a cheap price and end up with a cheap job done then you get what you have paid for. It also surprises me how the cheaper ones just verbally quote you. I find the more honest tradesman will give you a written quotation and maybe a contract. The better ones also don't ask for money up front and some may ask for a part payment but only after the job is started and always less than the amount of work done at time of payment. As for the vat registered people well 20% on the labour isn't nice but I pay it and get a full vat numbered invoice. If the job goes sour afterwards you can't sue someone if the job never existed. No invoice - no job done. Your word against theirs.

On forums most (though not every single person of course) want a good quality job and good results, for paying next to nothing. I get contacted via PM to quote for work and there is no way I will drop a price to win the order. They end up going else where for a £99 website and get their fingers burned and then come back moaning about quality and service level. Pay cheap pay twice. A lot of people know this yet still turn a blind eye to it and somehow think a magic trick will be performed.

Last week I picked up an order via another forum for a British client wh is currently in the Middle East. My daughter (who does some of my online marketing) PM'd them on Monday when she saw they wanted a website and by Thursday we had the order in place and paid for. But there will be 3 more she will have contacted last week that say they can't afford our prices, so really you just have to not waste time on those who don't want to spend too much or would like to, but can't afford to. Give a price and thank them for at least taking it into consideration. These folk may come back to you for the real deal next year.

I get quite a bit of work from mybuilder.com. You do get charged for quoting but its not a lot and very competable but u get rating and feedback. It does cost to get going on it but give it a try. You will find a lot of people dont pay taxes they just do it on side of dole money. I was self employed 2 years ago and struggled to get going with the jobs, so i went back to employment now ive come out of work again and im in same position. I prefer to be self employed than go on the dole

Mybuilder.com, like the SF, has it's share of chancers, falsely advertising they are members of trade organisations and referances from friends and family. I had previously been a member of mybuilder.com and although I won a few jobs I also lost a few to people priceing for jobs cheaper than cost:suspect: I have also had to correct work made by these chancers who have left properties unsafe, costing the customers more money as they didn't feel safe/happy contacting these people to rectify their work.

My advice to customers is always ask a trades 'person' to look at the work they are pricing for and bring appropriate certs. , insurance etc., and be sure you are getting what you want. Never employ someone because they are cheap or it could end up with a lot more than money.

My husband's been replying to lots of jobs on the forum over the the past few weeks and not had one phone call or reply.

We find this rather strange as my husband is qualified and insured.

On further examination, we've noticed there's lots of tradesman out there who are willing to do job for peanuts. This is all well and good for the customers, but A it's driving down the price for everyone :( I'm sure lots of tradesman would agree can these quotes really be from qualified legit people ?????:|

:rolleyes:

If I were a customer looking for work doing, I would hear alarm bells ringng especially when someones puts on a post "ill do it for twenty quid!! " If something seems to good to be true it probably is !:(

:rolleyes:

If I were a customer looking for work doing, I would hear alarm bells ringng especially when someones puts on a post "ill do it for twenty quid!! " If something seems to good to be true it probably is !:(

hiya i took nigels number, if a job comes up i'll be sure to call thanks andy

On further examination, we've noticed there's lots of tradesman out there who are willing to do job for peanuts. This is all well and good for the customers, but A it's driving down the price for everyone I'm sure lots of tradesman would agree can these quotes really be from qualified legit people ?????

Could'nt agree more, An electrician on here had a special offer on fusebox change earth upgrading and full certification for £200. Really selling himself short and his trade.

I've just made a small vid and put it on my freeindex page to show customers. There's no way i can be doing jobs that size that's in the vid for £100 like some people quote for on here. I'd be working for pennies if i did.

There's a competitor to me who offers 'I will beat any genuine quotation'. It seems I am always the first to quote and he is sneaking in behind my back.

What customers don't realise he is a shark. He changes his companies name every 2 years or so and his telephone number. Getting him back once he has been paid is almost impossible.

I cannot lower my prices and I give a full written quote and a letter headed invoice receipt for all money paid. I doubt he does that. He would be giving all the customer needs to sue him!

More fool the customers that fall for his scam. But it is surprising how people will take a chance if given the opportunity to save some money.