Microsoft Window Updates

JOHN HABS

Looks to me you are being overly concerned about Microsoft Updates. Just how much of your 80GB hard drive space have you used?

I have Windows XP with SP3 installed on a 5GB partition (C: Drive) and all my software and takes up just over 2.5GB of hard drive space.

An install of Windows XP only takes up around 1.5GB of hard drive space. System Restore will use around 5% of your hard drive space on default settings. You can manage the disk space that is used by System Restore and allocate less space or simply turn it off.

If you are that concerned about Windows updates then just download the critical security updates only or even turn off updates altogether.

Another option is to remove all unneeded software to free up extra space.

If your PC totally crashes System Restore will be of little use to you and if you have a virus it is possible that it may be in System Restore as well.

I think he is concerned about the space taken up by old installation files for the updates, rather than the installed system. Somebody talks about removal/deletion options here:-

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/safely-remove-windows-xp-update-backup-files-to-free-up-hard-disk-space/

I think he is concerned about the space taken up by old installation files for the updates, rather than the installed system. Somebody talks about removal/deletion options here:-

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/safely-remove-windows-xp-update-backup-files-to-free-up-hard-disk-space/

I cannot see any logical reason why the OP should be. It will never amount to a vast amount of disk space. An 80GB hard drive is more than adequate.

The only operating system that I can recall was Vista with the windir directory being a huge hard drive hog.