Anyone live in Winchester/ Barncliffe Areas of Fulwood/Lodge Moor?

We have seen a house we like in the "Upper Fulwood" area, but like a lot around there, it's a 1970s semi. I was wondering what the area is like generally, but also specifically if anyone has experience of living in one of those 1970s style semi detached houses? There are also lots of them in Bradway similarly styled too. What are they like for noise between the party walls? Are 1970s houses badly/cheaply built as some people say, or are they ok to live in?

I know in older 1930s semis, the walls between the 2 are quite thick and I don't think there's much neighbour noise, but not sure about newer ones.

Apart from being incredibly boring, full of houses that all look the same, you have dodge the pensioners and the wannabe posh people that only chose the house because it is in 'Fulwood', when in reality it is closer to Lodge Moor.

The shops are terrible, there's no pubs, and you need to watch out for the reformed alco's that have been housed in the Westminster flats, heading for their morning breakfast of special brew at the local shops.

The views are nice :D

We have seen a house we like in the "Upper Fulwood" area, but like a lot around there, it's a 1970s semi. I was wondering what the area is like generally, but also specifically if anyone has experience of living in one of those 1970s style semi detached houses? There are also lots of them in Bradway similarly styled too. What are they like for noise between the party walls? Are 1970s houses badly/cheaply built as some people say, or are they ok to live in?

I know in older 1930s semis, the walls between the 2 are quite thick and I don't think there's much neighbour noise, but not sure about newer ones.

a friend of mine bought one a while back on winchester at lodge moor, no problem with the noise from the neighbours, walls must be thick enough but i find these house bland and lacking charactor. and as a person in my 30's i would find that area very boring and surrounded by middle age people. but each to there own. plus point is your on the edge of the countryside :)

Apart from being incredibly boring, full of houses that all look the same, you have dodge the pensioners and the wannabe posh people that only chose the house because it is in 'Fulwood', when in reality it is closer to Lodge Moor.

The shops are terrible, there's no pubs, and you need to watch out for the reformed alco's that have been housed in the Westminster flats, heading for their morning breakfast of special brew at the local shops.

think i posted same time as you, our posts have some similar views :hihi:

Lived in a semi off Barncliffe Road between 1999 and 2002. A decent home in every sense, five minutes from the Shiny Sheff and a minute's walk to the shops (what used to be Costcutter). Likewise, the bus stop was on my door step.

The walls weren't the thickest; fortunately we had neighbours who didn't blow off every time we turned the music up.

We moved up to Peterborough Road ten years ago. I wouldn't really wish to live anywhere else in Sheffield. Gorgeous views from my windows, parks and greenery all around and three decent pubs all in walking distance.

Sure, there are a lot of old fogies but I prefer them to Boy Racers and groups of hooded morons on every street corner.

The walls weren't the thickest; fortunately we had neighbours who didn't blow off every time we turned the music up.

Please can you elaborate a bit further? What kind of noise did you get through the walls, e.g. could you hear their TV, or talking, coughing, etc?

Agree that the views around there are brilliant. :)

i think i saw the same property listing last week in the property guide on winchester road, and thought since when has it been "upper fulwood"? its lodge moor surely! estate agents just love the "grey" area descriptions to work a property into a "better" area.

winchester is just off crimicar lane, about 300 yards off the shiny sheff, anyone else thinking trades descriptions act lol!

your point about westminster flats is unfortunately so true, i cant believe they are allowing alcholics to take flats inbetween the OAPS, its putting the old uns about and surely there are more deserving people on the long housing lists who would love to live on westminster crescent? one or two scenes have already played out up there, its a shame.