Clearing out font folder

Hanksy

Im on Windows 7 and I inserted a fonts cd, which installed all 4,000 to the fonts folder. Now some programs are taking ages to open. I want to clear the font folder out to have just the ones needed in there. How do I do it, without deleting any fonts that I need and dont know i need!

What will happen if I delete one i shouldnt!

Thanks

And if you want to really tidy up but keep the ones that came with 7, create a second Fonts folder and name it Fonts2 - copy all the garbage fonts you are unlikely to use into this second folder and just keep 2 or 3 key fonts in Fonts.

This is whay i want to do, but what are the "key" fonts I need to keep?

Im on Windows 7 and I inserted a fonts cd, which installed all 4,000 to the fonts folder. Now some programs are taking ages to open...

It will. Everything that uses fonts, like word processing, mail etc will try to load the entire fonts folder to RAM. Shame really 'cos 3999 of them are just sitting there using memory.

Open the fonts folder, Right click an empty space > sort by > more > tick date added/date created, highlight all the ones added today (or whenever you installed them) and delete ;)

Thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU

Ive tried alsorts, including system restore! I just didnt know how to find the dates under "more"

This is whay i want to do, but what are the "key" fonts I need to keep?

Basically, just choose the ones you are likely to use the most. It's basically down to you. The only issue you might have (never tried this so others might be able to give a definitive answer) is that if you created a document with a font you decided you no longer wanted to live on the system at boot time is that your document might not open because it will be searching the Font folder when displaying a document.

Archived