Giving bones to dogs yes/no?

You can get them very cheap in castle market from the butchers :)

That's where i got this one from. It only cost me 50p and it's huge. I have given it back to Paddy now and he hasn't moved out of his basket for an hour. It's like having a dog sitter :hihi:

I can see how they clean the teeth so well. The surface of the bone has really roughened up. It's like having a giant toothbrush.

Stupid question but what do you actually ask for in the butchers? :confused:

That's a question only us women would ask :hihi: I used to make my husband always ask in the butchers because I never know what weight to ask for. Aren't we silly.

I just ask for some bones for my dogs and they rmember me now so always get the big bones out. I ask for enough free range chicken for two :)

Terri

A large marrow bone. If you go to Castle market the butchers have them out front of each stall so you can pick what you want.

I think that as long as you can trust your dog to just chew on the ends of the bone, they have the bones under supervision and you know that the bone is of an appropriate size and texture for the dog then it should be fine.

I wouldn't give Molly any leg bones other than the really big beef ones because she can bite through the shaft of smaller bones with no problems and is likely to end up swallowing large chunks of bone, which is a huge risk.

When she has a large beef bone we get the butcher to cut the bone in half so that she can get to the marrow from the cut end and we make sure that the bone is nice and fresh so it's not likely to splinter from being dry, and then she can chew the ends, which are comparatively soft. We take the bone off her once she's taken all of the ends off, just to be on the safe side.

Obviously, the scale would be completely different if you had a smaller dog or one who didn't have the bite strength of a shepherd or a bull breed, but the principle is the same.

mine are quite fond of postie & milkman type bones lol.no i have always give my dogs bones & never really had any problems :thumbsup:

The bones I get are lamb marrowbones which are fresh so I can freeze them and are free!!! Beef are too large for my hounds and I cant believe that butchers are charging for bones!!!!!!! Crawshaws are a fab butchers and you can ring in to order what you want but I use a butcher in Derbyshire who supplies me with human grade meat ground up with bone that I freeze at home which costs me less than a quid to feed 3 dogs per day!

Thanks guys I just didn't want to be stood there in the butchers looking like some loonatic :hihi:

I'll try crawshaws as she have one just down the road :)

Hi Rob

I get a bone from my butchers every few weeks for my dogs. He gives me raw beef bones, usually a cows leg. They go mental for them and it keeps them quiet for days!

I originally started doing this because when we rescued our great dane, she had quite a bit of plaque on her teeth and the vet said it would cost a minimum of £110 to descale them as they have to put them under. I thought this was extreme since her teeth were not at that stage so I gave her a bone from the butchers and she scraped her teeth on it and a few days later they were gleaming!

Avoid chicken bones and pork bones. Chicken bones can splinter and get stuck and pork bones can upset their stomach but your butcher would know this anyway.

Bones are natural for dogs but beware if you love your garden as ours is covered in holes with cows legs sticking out of them. My danes aren't the best at burying, they shuffles the soil around, lay the bone over the top, check to see if you're looking, then push the soil on top with their noses. My cocker does a far better job :)

Terri

how many danes have you got terri, rob

Hi Rob

I have two. A blue harlequin and her daughter, a blue. I have pics of them on my website and pics of the litter.

It's nice to know that you got your danes back safely.

Do you go on the great dane owners forum? They organise great dane walks a lot. We went on one with the blue (named Bella like yours :) ) and she had the time of her life!

Terri