Broomhall, is it still bad?

I'm looking to rent a place to live in Broomhall on Brunswick street next year but I've heard that its a pretty bad neighbourhood. Other students have told me to not choose this area because it has a bad reputation but I was wondering is it currently really that bad? I've been around the area a few times and its seemed fine and most of the houses seemed to be occupied by students so where is all the trouble coming from? Is it really a reason not to live there?

No, it's really not that bad. A student friend of mine lived there for a year recently and had no significant bother.

Yes, it's still bad. Maybe not as bad as some people will tell you, but there are violent gangs in the area. http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/15327625

News story is from 2009, although I have it on good authority that it's still not the nicest area. Good old Sky and their accuracy though:

"The man, who has not been named, was killed in the Broomhill area of the city."

I guess it is only 'somewhere in the North' to them.

News story is from 2009, although I have it on good authority that it's still not the nicest area. Good old Sky and their accuracy though:

"The man, who has not been named, was killed in the Broomhill area of the city."

I guess it is only 'somewhere in the North' to them.

Yeah, it is from 2009, but nobody has been shot or murdered on my street in the last few years. There are plenty of safer places to live.

I suppose we should think ourselves lucky that Sky didn't call the area 'Norton'.

It can be a little dodgy but you are probably safe,but your possessions may be at risk due to break-ins.A lot of the crime committed is done by outsiders.

Broomhall is no worse than other inner city areas, and because people keep saying its a bad area, its what you look for! There are many lovely poeple who will give you a warm welcome. The problem is the transient population who do not engage with their neighbours, which does not bring any sense of community to the place.

So NO Broomhall is not bad, and never has been and gets an unfair amount of bad press, and all the excellent things that happen are ignored. We served a Halal Turkey dinner to 72 people in December- all the food was cooked by local people and a great time was had by all, as well as raising £300 for the East Africa Appeal. Just because people get on with it and don't shout about their good work does not mean its not happening.

Changing peoples perception of the area is harder than changing the area.

No it's not bad, predominantly a student area.

ive never had a problem in broomhall whenever going there, it allways seems a decent place to visit, friendly people. my mum liked it so much when she visited broomhall that she said its the kind of place she'd rent a house in.

Guest busdriver1
Yeah, it is from 2009, but nobody has been shot or murdered on my street in the last few years. There are plenty of safer places to live.

I suppose we should think ourselves lucky that Sky didn't call the area 'Norton'.

I lived there for 5 years and they were the worst years of my life. Plenty people who lived there were quite happy to put their heads in the sand and pretend everything was alright. The area attracts scum from all the surrounding areas who are happy to gather on street corners with the local scum until 4 or 5 in the morning playing load music and shouting and screaming at each other. They frequently invaded our garden and used it as a toilet and abused us if we asked them to move. The police were either scared of them or just not concerned. Often on returning home a gang would be sitting on my front door steps and would not move to allow me to get into my house. Most days we had missiles thrown at the house.

So in short, if that is the sort of life you want to live then off you go. The house I moved out of is still empty and available to rent. Wonder why? the rent was cheap enough.

Broomhall is no worse than other inner city areas, and because people keep saying its a bad area, its what you look for! There are many lovely poeple who will give you a warm welcome. The problem is the transient population who do not engage with their neighbours, which does not bring any sense of community to the place.

So NO Broomhall is not bad, and never has been and gets an unfair amount of bad press, and all the excellent things that happen are ignored. We served a Halal Turkey dinner to 72 people in December- all the food was cooked by local people and a great time was had by all, as well as raising £300 for the East Africa Appeal. Just because people get on with it and don't shout about their good work does not mean its not happening.

Changing peoples perception of the area is harder than changing the area.

If Broomhall is not bad and never has been, then I don't get understand how you conclude the last line (or the line that precedes the first bold). :huh: Neither make sense (as with many other contradictions in there). Why would anything have to change in the area?