Have You Ever Infiltrated?

zakes

I recently remembered reading about a Frenchman some years ago who was an infiltrator. This old and frail man would turn up wearing beret, blazer and several medals pinned upon his chest. This man would amble through the gate entering Bastille Day celebration parties, presidential gatherings and such occasions. He never had an invite or ticket but just went in, and for about 40 years got away with it tucking into feasts of food and champagne etc. He was caught eventually when someone asked him for I.D. on the off chance.

I never did anything as bare faced as that, but I have had my moments. I have done some infiltration over the years, but it was for the fun of it and was not intended to be criminal although others may see it differently. I intend to type some posts relating to you some of the things I got up to. Have any of you done some infiltrating? Please tell.

Over the years I have amassed a few hundred mens ties with motifs on them including loads of brewery ties. They were once handy to have when the breweries were running the pubs differently as they do today. I never claimed to be from a beer company , but if I turned up in a pub dressed smartly and wearing a brewery tie and the landlord took it upon himself to offer me a drink and sometimes a meal I wouldn't refuse. If I was offered a drink I would have half-a-pint because having a pint can be a give away. Remember you are supposed to be working. When I walked into a pub I would have my left hand in my trouser pocket which pushed the jacket open giving the staff the opportunity to clearly see my tie. I always planned my route for the day which means I would be wearing a Stones tie and in various pockets have a different tie, i.e Wards, Whitbread, Tetley etc. I wasn't always successful but that's okay, thats the fun of it all. Don't forget that when a landlord thought you were from the brewery they wouldn't ask you any questions because usually a person from the brewery would be over the landlord in status. It was great to see them falling over themselves being ultra polite wanting to make a good impression. Before going to the bar I would stroll slowly around the pub looking at the floor, ceiling, specials boards and menus etc, looking official.

1. On 30.3.2004 the re-l(a)unch of Ward's beer took place from lunch time onwards at the Old Grindstone, Crookes. I had had a week prior tip off from =one of the CAMRA clan about the function.

On the actual day I had donned a suit and wore one of my Ward's ties but I can't remember if it was the silver, brown or blue one. I set off in confident mood although the 'party' was for brewery people and guests only and the pub was closed for the general public.

On arrival I walked straight in and saw on the right a boat load of suited and booted blokes, so I casually veered slightly left to the bar. I had also noted that some tables were full of food. A barmaid came to me and asked me what I would like to drink and I requested a half of Wards. I then helped myself to three ladles full of stew with a couple of slices of french bread to dip in. Seven more halves of Wards and a juicy prawn baguette with salad later I decided to leave. Moving towards the exit I nodded and gave a quick wave to the group of men and cleared off.

The service at the bar had been excellent and the Wards beer that was brewed in a town called Cockinmouth in Cumbria was okay, but tasted nothing like the original Sheffield Wards. The food was marvellous.

It had been a difficult decision to leave the pub afterall it was all for free, but I need to get home for a few hours sleep because I was going out with some mates that evening for some more free drinks, to celebrate my fiftieth birthday. That's how I remember the exact date!

More next time.

Zakes.

P.S. The ties are from markets, charity shops, car boot sales and a former area manager of various brewerys.

I knew a guy who would often frequent different Indian restaurants (in Sheffield or whilst working away), and carry a note pad and pen.

Whilst eating his meal occasionally writing comments etc. This was always noticed by the waiters, and when asked why, he told them he was a food/restaurant critic for the Sheffield Star/Local paper. He often recieved the meal and drinks 'on the house', and always the best food.

He carried out this scam for about 2 years, during the 80s and was never once asked to leave any restaurant

A good wheeze, zakes!.:) I can't equal that performance, but once at Dublin airport I found an Aer Lingus "Gold Circle Club" card that someone had accidentally dropped. With an hour before my flight to Manchester, I adopted the guise of Mr J.C. Brady (which I think was the name on the card) and enjoyed free drinks, light bites, magazines, Internet etc. in the Gold Circle Lounge before returning to the gate and dutifully handing in the card..:P

I think its called "obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception" and is contrary to the Theft Act.

In other words all the above contributors are thieves.

I suppose there will be many who will celebrate the success of these con artists. I think they should be prosecuted.

So if one of the above found your wallet and used your credit card and spent your cash, used your season ticket etc you would feel that was ok?

It is not self righteousness to obey the law.

Your reponses point to the moral degeneration that has gone on for too long in this country.

Sorry who[m] do you agree with?
It should be clear to all that I was agreeing with the Forum member whose quote I replied to, i.e. beechnut. In deploring "moral degeneration" you are likely to achieve a higher level of agreement among Forum members if you compare like with like. Fraudulently using a credit card is hardly comparable with accepting perks that are freely offered. Edited by Banker

It should be clear to all that I was agreeing with the Forum member whose quote I replied to, i.e. beechnut. In deploring "moral degeneration" you are likely to achieve a higher level of agreement among Forum members if you compare like with like. Fraudulently using a credit card is hardly comparable with accepting perks that are freely offered.

The perks were not freely offered. The contributor brags about the fact that he conned the organisers, another that he conned the restaurant owner.

Deplorable illegal immoral. Nothing to brag about.