Short stories wanted for publication

Hello everyone!

We are putting together a book showcasing the literary talent on offer in Sheffield and we are eager to receive submissions ASAP.

We are looking for short stories (roughly 2000-6000 words, although we’re very flexible on this) written by authors from, or with a connection to, Sheffield.

The deadline for submissions is Wednesday 29th February, 2012.

The stories will be published in a new book – Sheff, Short for Sheffield – that will also contain artwork from the local area.

We are inspired by publications like Granta and The Paris Review and hope to create something similar – a celebration of the short story but also a beautiful and tactile work of art in its own right.

Sheff, Short for Sheffield is a project between Mark Johnson (me), an aspiring author with a love of the short story, and Alex Watson, a final year graphic design student at Sheffield Hallam University. The book will form part of Alex’s final university project.

The book will be published in the summer of this year and if the support is there we are keen to make this an annual publication.

Please spread the word!

Many thanks,

Mark Johnson

Sheff, Short for Sheffield

[email protected]

hi where will it be published?

Hi Johanna,

I can't really answer that one yet unfortunately.

We're certainly keen to publish as widely as possible but we're in the process right now of costing up the whole process and looking into funding streams that will help with it all.

Sorry i can't give more info just yet. As soon as i know more i will post it on here.

Thanks

Mark

Sounds excellent! I've got a few short stories that need a couple of tweaks but would be interested in sending one to you to see what you think-are you planning on accepting stories from a range of genres?

Cheers LitleMermaid,

Yes, apart from children's fiction, we're open to all genres.

I'm really glad you like the idea! I'd love this to get a good response and to grow into an annual (or even biannual) publication. I guess money will be the big factor in all that but fingers crossed!

And yes, please do submit something when you feel that you are ready.

Thanks!

Mark

Hello Mark

Sounds interesting. Have you thought of having a flash fiction section? You could perhaps look through our monthly competitions over the past year and make a compilation of those you like best. You can contact individual entrants with a personal message to ask permission to use the pieces. Speaking with my marketing/PR hat on it would enable you to fit in more people's work and that's more people who might be willing to buy a copy!:wink:

I'll send you a short story of mine.

Lady A

And how much will you pay for the use of our hard graft?

A serious writer doesn't do it for payment. You do it for the love of your craft, and the opportunity to have your work put into wider circulation is renumeration enough.

Do you have a website or is that in the pipeline?

Lady A - thanks for your submission! And for the flash fiction suggestion too - i'm certainly not against the idea so i'll take a look at what is around.

Hopman - I would love to be able to pay for the stories but i don't think it will happen in this lifetime! At the moment this project is being funded by love and fresh air! If there are any profits at all (which i find hard to believe) then they'll be going straight into trying to make this a regular occurrence rather than a one off.

Coyleys - no website yet i'm afraid. We were talking about it yesterday though and it is definitely something we plan to do ASAP.

Thanks to everyone for the positive responses. Keep them coming!

Cheers

Mark

Lady A - thanks for your submission! And for the flash fiction suggestion too - i'm certainly not against the idea so i'll take a look at what is around.

Hopman - I would love to be able to pay for the stories but i don't think it will happen in this lifetime! At the moment this project is being funded by love and fresh air! If there are any profits at all (which i find hard to believe) then they'll be going straight into trying to make this a regular occurrence rather than a one off.

Coyleys - no website yet i'm afraid. We were talking about it yesterday though and it is definitely something we plan to do ASAP.

Thanks to everyone for the positive responses. Keep them coming!

Cheers

Mark

I love this idea, I'll pop a submission or two when I get some time.

The flash fiction idea would be a good addition, a 500 word limit is frustrating but I think it brings out the best in my writing at least. I have a few entries in the monthly writing competitions on this site (links below) if this is a style of writing you're interested in then let me know and I'll knock something together.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=831914 - The Hunt.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=754813 - Why Babies Cry.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=735327 - Mad As A Lorry. The Troll. The Panic Attack.

Sounds like a great idea. Is it just open to literary storied or would you consider genres like Science Fiction/Fantasy/Childrens?

Also what format do the stories need to be in? Word documents, double spaced etc...

Do you accept simultaneous submissions and reprints?