Help with condensation

Hi,

As anyone got any tips on dealing with condensation plz? My windows are dripping with it and am fed up of wiping them. I have the windows open a lot but as soon as we shut at night, and first thing in a morning its really bad.

Any old wives tales to deal with it out there?:)

Single glazing presumably?

secondary glazing would help, and if cost is an issue, screw perspex over them, or even cheaper and not as good , you can get window film to do the same job

Place moisture traps on the windowledge, with crystals in that extract moisture from the air, and line your curtains with either thermal linings or line them with charity shop blankets

Hi Strix,

Thanks for that.

Not a cost issue really - just rented property so may have to nag em lol. Seems upstairs is worst - I am sure i remember sumwhere my nan used to put salt on the window ledges - or mb i dreamt that lol

Thanks anyway

salt will absorb moisture, but probably not well enough!

are you drying your washing indoors too?

yes i do but try to avoid radiators - i av a clothes airer - mb time o invest in a tumble dryer.................

make sure it's one with a hose, and you've got somewhere suitable to vent it ;)

after baths and showers, shut the bathroom door and open its window too, if it doesn't have an extractor

If you do alot of hobtop cooking, and there's no extractor, shut the kitchen door and open the window when cooking

yes i do but try to avoid radiators - i av a clothes airer - mb time o invest in a tumble dryer.................

That’s your problem ………. Lack of ventilation in modern houses, as a kid we had ice on the windows in the winter but never had a problem with condensation.

Hi,

As anyone got any tips on dealing with condensation plz? My windows are dripping with it and am fed up of wiping them. I have the windows open a lot but as soon as we shut at night, and first thing in a morning its really bad.

Any old wives tales to deal with it out there?:)

Open windows and release the water vapour-dry clothes outside not on radiators or tumble dryer.

salt will absorb moisture, but probably not well enough!

are you drying your washing indoors too?

Yes salt abosorbs moisture , thats why yopur salt seller gives you so much grief in winter :D . But to use that to control moisture in the house ,you need tonnes of it to cope with the amount of moisture created from drying clothes indoors without a vent, on Radiators, showers, baths, cooking on hobs, breathing etc.

Yes salt abosorbs moisture , thats why yopur salt seller gives you so much grief in winter :D . But to use that to control moisture in the house ,you need tonnes of it to cope with the amount of moisture created from drying clothes indoors without a vent, on Radiators, showers, baths, cooking on hobs, breathing etc.

Best solution is a dehumidifier, it will control your moisture content in 2 - 4 weeks. They say it runs at 2p per hour.