Do you remember Fir Vale in the 1950s and 1960s?

remember it well - my nan used to buy me chips from there when I used to stay with her - always ate them out of the newspaper wrapping as well - lol

Fleetwood: around where you are talking about (near the bottom of Herries Road),was there some sort of vehicle dealership there ?

I see somebody beat me to it, yes I remember the dealership although I had forgotten the name. Where I worked the owners had a couple of cars, a Rover and a Jag, two really beautiful cars and I think they got them serviced there on occasion. Seems to me they might have had fuel pumps there also.

---------- Post added 28-10-2016 at 11:38 ----------

I fully agree that Firvale was a very nice area with everything close at hand. My only regret is, if I'm to believe some of the postings, some of the areas we all frequented are not the same anymore, I suppose one doesn't have to delve too far in the whys and wherefores to come up with answers.

I have posted some b/w photos I took around Firvale in the 70's, just a film camera back then, that was 40 years ago and these are the only ones that survived. I followed Steptoe round the streets until he told me to bugger off. I would like to know how much it's changed since then.

Hope the link works, the photos appear to be cropped but if you click on each one you can see the whole picture.

http://s284.photobucket.com/user/goldstar6/library/?sort=3&page=1

I have posted some b/w photos I took around Firvale in the 70's, just a film camera back then, that was 40 years ago and these are the only ones that survived. I followed Steptoe round the streets until he told me to bugger off. I would like to know how much it's changed since then.

Hope the link works, the photos appear to be cropped but if you click on each one you can see the whole picture.

I see the bingo place, the former 'Roxy Cinema' on Idsworth Road. What is the building with the staircase ?

---------- Post added 01-11-2016 at 21:31 ----------

As for the 'Roxy' (Idsworth Road) ,was that ever a dance hall at some time ? and I don't mean 'Dey's',which was further away on Pitsmoor Road.

Edited by stpetre
add

Some outside scenes from The Full Monty were filled there.

Yes and the inside was Shiregreen WMC. I think.

--------------------------

Hi Downsunder, All houses now gone here is a pic of the Academy

School built on Skinnerthorpe Rd, this pic is the end of Rushby st end.

This pic it other end od Skinnerthorpe Rd fir vale end. Hope this ok for you.

Edited by brian1941

Thanks for the update Brian, what is the Academy School? Something to do with police or military? Anyway it certainly looks neat and clean, manicured lawns and new roads but I notice the 6 foot perimeter fence and the gate which they appear to keep closed even when people are there. Signs of the times I suppose.