Accident - Broad Lane

Looks as though Broad Lane has been closed following an accident, once again highlighting the dangers of this area -

From The Star:

A PEDESTRIAN has been hit in a collision with a car on Broad Lane in Sheffield city centre.

Police have closed the road between the Brookhill roundabout and West Bar while they deal with the incident.

Details on the severity of the collision have not yet been revealed.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/breaking_pedestrian_hit_on_broad_lane_1_3946259

The danger to pedestrians and other road users of the area around Broad Lane and the University roundabout is a frequent topic of conversation on these boards. Partly as a result of events such as this one, and another from around a year ago:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/around-yorkshire/local-stories/student_killed_after_being_hit_by_police_car_1_3023187

...and...

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/shattered_injured_cyclist_blasts_driver_s_163_90_fine_1_1830435

for example

Edited by alas_alas

The danger to pedestrians and other road users of the area around Broad Lane and the University roundabout is a frequent topic of conversation on these boards. Partly as a result of events such as this one, and another from around a year ago:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/around-yorkshire/local-stories/student_killed_after_being_hit_by_police_car_1_3023187

...and...

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/shattered_injured_cyclist_blasts_driver_s_163_90_fine_1_1830435

for example

I dont see how it's more dangerous than any other busy area

The main dangers of this area, and those roads around it, are caused by students walking out in the road without bothering to look. I'd bet this accident was probably a young person crossing the road without checking, simply based on the amount of times I've had to stop suddenly while driving about this area because of someone walking out in front of my car.

If I was in charge of the university I'd seriously think about getting David Prowse or Tufty in for the freshers week to give a few lectures on crossing the road.

It worked for me. And I got some awesome stickers.

I came past just after it had happened. The paramedics were there, and a young Asian/Chinese girl was sitting in a chair (paramedic chair) there was a silver estate car at an angle to the road, with a chap standing by the side of it. Didn't look too bad. The police weren't even there. and the road wasn't closed.

The main dangers of this area, and those roads around it, are caused by students walking out in the road without bothering to look. I'd bet this accident was probably a young person crossing the road without checking, simply based on the amount of times I've had to stop suddenly while driving about this area because of someone walking out in front of my car.

If I was in charge of the university I'd seriously think about getting David Prowse or Tufty in for the freshers week to give a few lectures on crossing the road.

It worked for me. And I got some awesome stickers.

This is really quite insensitive. All kinds of people use the roads and pavements around Brook Hill. The main dangers, as I see them, are the result of reckless driving and the poor road layout and traffic management.

Students, among other people, e.g. cyclists and other fully accredited citizens, are not "at fault" here.

I can't comment on the individual case here, as it's too early to speculate on the causes of the incident and the job status of those involved.

It must be so hard for those drivers on the forum who naturally hate students to have to take care when driving in busy areas of the city full of pedestrians. Maybe you need to re-read your highway code to see who has priority over the roads:

"Pedestrians

There is a risk of pedestrians, especially children, stepping unexpectedly into the road. You should drive with the safety of children in mind at a speed suitable for the conditions."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069858

While I appreciate that someone has been injured in an accident, I was merely stating my views on the apparent 'dangers' you have supposedly pointed out in the area.

In my opinion the road layout is no different to any other part of the city, there are sufficient crossings and traffic lights to control traffic and pedestrians alike. Its just that, for the most part, other citizens pay attention to traffic conditions- and I'm sure from memory that it says something like that in the highway code too, but alas, I can't be bothered to find it.

And at no point did I say I 'hated students', I pointed out that I have had problems driving about this area in the past due to the lack of attention paid by the pedestrian young people crossing the road... And I'd bet the majority of people using this area would fit into the student category, but I was not saying I detest them. Simply that most of them need to pay more attention to the roads they are crossing. For further examples of this kind of lax behaviour please see Ranmoor/Broomhill any night of the week.

I hope the young lady in question is OK, I'm sure she'll be in some shock following the events of this afternoon, as will the driver of the vehicle involved.