Occupy Sheffield Cathedral

do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?  

599 members have voted

1. 1. do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?

• yes, and they should be encouraged to stay
    • no, and they should be evicted by the church

By your own logic it is Occupy Sheffield's fault. Your logic is underlined by this insular thread and the utter lack of will to engage in any other discussion outside of the Occupy Sheffield thread.

There is no misrepresentation possible over 200+ pages. All that you see is the total and complete exposure of Occupy Sheffield.

If they (or you) prefer to discuss the issues pertinent to what Occupy Sheffield claim to stand for they could do worse than to try my most recent thread on the ICB.

I have no idea what point you think you are making? Nor does your assessment of the thread bear much if any relationship with reality,

Thats interesting, so now you feel you can speak for me? I dont understand why the seemingly ideal place to locate a protest about BANKS is to put it outside a CHURCH instead of a BANK and so I back the bankers??:loopy:

Well im glad you have sorted that out. What else do I support or think?

You are obviously only meeting people who support the occupation of the cathedral

I never mentioned you let alone put any words in your mouth. Your loopy arguments about the citing of the occupation speak for themselves.

As for your last point, everyone I have met has supported the occupation, people at work, people in the pub etc.

As for public opinion, well this article would suggest nationally the majority of people and increasing sympathise with the issues that the occupy movement are highlighting.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/its-time-that-we-valued-people-over-profits-poll-results-show-6281282.html

...Do you want to share your domicile with two families from Somalia ? I don't. Wayne and waynetta definitely won't...

I agree that most people don't want that. So Occupy is a mainly developed country movement where people feel they are told they live in a fair, democratic society, but it turns out they don't, and people are finally getting their sh*t together to try and get some democratic power back? Not far off, huh?

How is it you can speak with such self assurance about what the public think? and even if you are right then who's fault is it?

Everyone I have met understands full well why the Cathedral site has been chosen, it is convenient dead space behind the tram stop that is close to the major town banks. the only people that don't understand that appear to be those on the forum that back the bankers party and willfully want to misunderstand and misrepresent the situation.

+1. Could not agree more.

Occupation. Presence. Talking to people on the streets every day for over 50 days. Listening to people on the streets for over 50 days. Local press. Relevant music events. Local radio. People with Disabilities Rally. Talks. Discussions and debates. Council discussions and motion (first council in England). Petition of support, donations of stuff to keep occupying (from good Sheffield folk. Thanks!), National Occupy Conference happening 20th-22nd January 2012. Citadel of Hope.

That kind of thing. Plenty more to be done, I agree.

It's part of a global movement with national and international coverage. Its affects can stretch into the future...

The global movement as you call it has run out of steam, or should I say hot air. Over here, they've been given their marching orders and by and large they've folded tents in most places with not much fuss. Same will happen in UK. People who have nothing more to offer than a basket full of complaints about how hard done by they are, purporting to speak for others who are trying to make a living, should walk the talk.If there are poor people out there who need a helping hand, give them one. Try working, paying taxes, and contributing to the economy instead of spouting off about how corrupt it is. :rant:

Does this mean they will now be leaving the cathedral site or do they just have a thing about religious establishments?

Joe, I await with bated breath your flimsy reasoning behind the choice of this new site

I'm occupying different cities this week, so haven't been to the Citadel of Hope yet. I'll be there later in the week I expect.

I think this is a great place to set up a centre for community and listening, and to exchange ideas to help solve the pressing economic, social and environmental problems of our time. All the cuts and austerity has meant that many groups have seen their support pulled. Maybe the Citadel of Hope can help people to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

The Citadel will of course be a safe place - a dry site - and the Safer Spaces policy that exists at Occupy Sheffield at Cathedral Square will apply here too. Basically, be nice to each other and respect other people.

I expect a presence to stay at the Cathedral, but maybe a trimmed down version. How long the Citadel lasts is unknown at this point, but the High Court discussions around Occupy London and the Bank of Ideas in London may have a bearing on it. Rulings happening 11th January 2012 in London I believe.

I'm occupying different cities this week, so haven't been to the Citadel of Hope yet. I'll be there later in the week I expect.

I think this is a great place to set up a centre for community and listening, and to exchange ideas to help solve the pressing economic, social and environmental problems of our time. All the cuts and austerity has meant that many groups have seen their support pulled. Maybe the Citadel of Hope can help people to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

The Citadel will of course be a safe place - a dry site - and the Safer Spaces policy that exists at Occupy Sheffield at Cathedral Square will apply here too. Basically, be nice to each other and respect other people.

I expect a presence to stay at the Cathedral, but maybe a trimmed down version. How long the Citadel lasts is unknown at this point, but the High Court discussions around Occupy London and the Bank of Ideas in London may have a bearing on it. Rulings happening 11th January 2012 in London I believe.

Here's a better idea. Why don't you have a wash and get a job?

What exactly did he say about the people who use the Archer Project?

That they were not there to help them...and that they were not welcome to the camp. Apparently they wanted to have a camp fire but realised that it would attract undesireables seeking to share the warmth....and indeed some of them tried to join in the activities going on but were told they were not welcome as the camp is a dry site. He clearly had little or no understanding of people with drink/drug/mental health issues....and even less compassion. He wasn't too impressed with the noise the drinkers make whilst sat around drinking....and that people might think they are associated with the camp.

Are you connected to the Cathedral?

Edited by julado

That they were not there to help them...and that they were not welcome to the camp. Apparently they wanted to have a camp fire but realised that it would attract undesireables seeking to share the warmth....and indeed some of them tried to join in the activities going on but were told they were not welcome as the camp is a dry site. He clearly had little or no understanding of people with drink/drug/mental health issues....and even less compassion. He wasn't too impressed with the noise the drinkers make whilst sat around drinking....and that people might think they are associated with the camp.

I don't see anything wrong with that. Sounds like you got an honest answer.