Doctors surgery who do triage call backs-opinions?

My surgery offers this, although its a nurse who calls you back and decides whether you need to be seen. I've had several occasions where no one has though, then claim to have and there was no answer (even though I was in and sat next to the phone :suspect: )

However I've only ever used it with my son, and as soon as they open up his medical notes (or whatever they do!) they squeeze us in!

Hi

I moved house and changed doctors last year. Getting an appointment is a NIGHTMARE!

So if you tell them it cant wait until next week they will arrange a 'triage' call, where a doctor call you back and more often than not prescribes a cream, antibiotic etc.. Over the phone. Then you just nip down and collect it. On the odd occassion they will ask you to come down and 'fit you in'.

I dont agree with this at all. Im suffering greatly with pain in my ear, not down the canal of a stereotypical ear infectionl, but just above the treagus. Ive spent 2 days cryin on and off with pain! Im not a wimp before anyone says i am. Assumably its in the sinus pit. Im going through my third ivf soon and need to have good health next week so need this to be properly treated! I cant afford time wise to end up going back in a few days because i was given the wrong thing!

Last time i had a triage call they prescribed a cream, a week later because it hadnt cleared i phone again and after demanding on the triage call to be seen i went down and was told 'oh its not what the gp on the phone thought it was!!'

I do NOT agree with triage calls. I think they should stick to a walk in centre in the morning and appts in the afternoon. Although walk-in is a pain as you could sit for up to 2hrs, it guaranteed you would be seen by your doctor.

Rant over! Whats your views?

I love this service. I use it all the time for me and the kids. Sometimes you know it isn't anything serious and can self diagnose so the chat with a gp and prescription is brilliant.

Recently called for an appointment having found a lump and was told it would be a week before I could get in to see a gp told the receptionist about the lump gp called me back and I was down seeing her within the hour. Same for my daughter a few months ago who was in agony with stomach pains.

If you want to see a gp wait until surgery closes then get the number for the out of hours service up at the Northern then go and see a gp up there I have used it at the weekend for my daughter and her stomach pains brilliant.

I dont agree with it, especially when I had to tell the receptionist my problems first to be past on to the triage nurse! I switched surgery in the end and it doesnt do this and offers great service and tey know what they are doing my advice to the op is switch!

I've recently had this with a 999 call also.

I suffer from a recurring stomach problem which leaves you writhing in agony, this could happen today or in two years time. It can usually be sorted with a quick injection and a couple hours sedation, sometimes it can take a couple of days,at the most, in hospital.

The hospital as always told me to ring 999 as soon as i get the problem as the sooner it is attended to,the quicker it can be sorted.

A few weeks ago it happened and my wife rang 999 only to be told that a nurse would ring her back, this took 2 hours. She explained the problem and the nurse said she would have talk to someone else, this again took over two hours. It was agreed that an ambulance was required, so after just over 5 hours i ended up in hospital. As soon as i got there it was classed as an emergency as i had deteriated so much. Because of the delay i was in there for over a week.

Is this the way forward, does it save money..................i don't think so.

I changed from a gp who did this for all appointments to one that does not. It just did not suit me personally. If you work in an open plan office and cant really take personal calls, you need to book to see a doctor. If you are out and about and cant necessarily get a mobile signal, then you need to book an appointment

If of course you can be at home or day then its probably fine.