Demolition of old factory in Meersbrook

Congratulations , yet again to Sheffield City Council, for letting a beautiful example of Victorian industrial architecture disappear forever, to make way for yet more of their beloved modern apartments/flats. What about the bats that allegedly lived in the chimney, I thought they were protected ? It's called progress I believe !

There was a fire engine there when I got home last nite - I guess someone thought the fire was out of hand. It was polluting valley road and chesterfield road... I couldn't breathe.

I hope they get fined by the council and south yorkshire fire and rescue for having these fires.

Originally posted by Anne23

There was a fire engine there when I got home last nite - I guess someone thought the fire was out of hand. It was polluting valley road and chesterfield road... I couldn't breathe.

I hope they get fined by the council and south yorkshire fire and rescue for having these fires.

Yeah, the fire engine was there for (I'd guess) about an hour. Didn't call the brigade myself, but would have done so if they weren't already on the scene.

(for those out of the loop on this, the demolition workers decided to start a HUGE fire on the site [again..] soon before they finished work there yesterday - the fire seemed to be pumping out thick BLACK smoke and the whole area [Valley Road / Meersbrook Park Road / Chesterfield Road junction] was affected for some hours)

As people who have followed this thread already know, this is just the latest in a long line of disgraceful antics from the jokers who are clearing the Valley Road site (on behalf of the developers, Campbell Homes)

Calling the council's Environmental Team seems to be a complete waste of time (we have reported them on numerous occasions regarding the fires and get little more back than "thanks for reporting this .. we're aware of it [etc.]")

Having said that if enough people do take the time to report them, then it *might* have more impact. The contact details for that department are as follows:

Tel: (0114) 273 4651

Email: [email protected]

I have some photographic evidence of last night's ridiculous fire on site. They are not brilliant, but I'll email them over to the council anyway (for what it's worth..)

Thanks for posting the update.

I emailed a complaint to the planning contact given on the planning app.

Its just not on.. the air is thick with smoke most nights. I could even smell it coming through the air con in the gym (virgin) the other nite. :rant: