Why are people so fussy about their hotel on holiday?

When most of the time you are out of your room out sightseeing or on the bleach, By the end of the evening you will be too drunk/tried to care how big/nice your hotel room is

When we go away, we want to remember our holiday, so we dont get drunk. I pay too much for going away for the memories to be a blur or drunken away.

I want as nice of a bed as I have at home and the place to be just if not more clean than my own house. If you want this, unfortunately, you have to pay for it (though everyone, regardless of what theyve paid, deserves a decent mattress, clean linens and spotless room/apartment)

I expect my hotel to be at least as nice as my house and my family and I certainly won't be too drunk to care!

:thumbsup:

I think it depends what star rating the hotel/apartments are. If they are basic 2 star then you don't really have grounds to complain about it being basic. If you were staying in a 4/5 star hotel and there are cockroaches etc then you have a reason to complain. I personally only ever stay in 2/3 star self catering as I'm hardly in the apartment so i wouldn't waste my money on a 4 star hotel.

No matter how much you pay to stay somewhere, you are entitled to a clean and healthy place to stay. Cockroaches and bed bugs are unacceptable whether you pay £200 or £10,000 for the trip

i mean hotels in london, travel lodge nice clean rooms does everything on the box around £100, then you get some hotels asking for £600+ per night

This totally. We've stayed in a easyHotel before and the rooms were clean, bed was firm and linens were clean. It was tiny, but it was convenient and we actually had A/C in the room (I've stayed in London during the summer when the room only provided a desk fan and a window that only open a third of the way) We paid £59 for the night.

New York has or until recently had a serious problems with bed bugs. Even the up market hotels were plagued with them.

We stayed at the Millenium jusr around the corner from Times Square but before we left home followed some useful advice:

Place suitcases on the luggage racks provided. Not on the floor. Check for bed bugs by lifting the sheet from the mattress and looking in the folds of the mattress. (Did not find any)

On arrival home as an extra precaution wash all clothes you took with you whether worn on the trip or not

Edited by Harleyman

I think it depends what star rating the hotel/apartments are. If they are basic 2 star then you don't really have grounds to complain about it being basic. If you were staying in a 4/5 star hotel and there are cockroaches etc then you have a reason to complain.
No matter what level you stay at there is a minimum state of hygene the applies to all hotels no matter what star rating.

A basice no frills 2 star should be as clean as a 5 star it is the facilities that are provided that make up the star rating.

When we go away, we want to remember our holiday, so we dont get drunk. I pay too much for going away for the memories to be a blur or drunken away.

I want as nice of a bed as I have at home and the place to be just if not more clean than my own house. If you want this, unfortunately, you have to pay for it (though everyone, regardless of what theyve paid, deserves a decent mattress, clean linens and spotless room/apartment)

:thumbsup:

No matter how much you pay to stay somewhere, you are entitled to a clean and healthy place to stay. Cockroaches and bed bugs are unacceptable whether you pay £200 or £10,000 for the trip

This totally. We've stayed in a easyHotel before and the rooms were clean, bed was firm and linens were clean. It was tiny, but it was convenient and we actually had A/C in the room (I've stayed in London during the summer when the room only provided a desk fan and a window that only open a third of the way) We paid £59 for the night.

We stayed at a couple of Holiday Inn Expresses and a Travel Lodge when in the UK a few years back.

They were very clean, modern, comfortable beds, good breakfast included and very reasonably priced at 95 pounds a night.

The only gripe was that the Expresses had showers but no baths and my wife always prefers baths over showers

to be fair if your in a country with a lot of mozzies,ants and **** roaches then you should expect to see some. Get over it i say they do no harm

for me its the staff being friendly what is important as long as my room is reasonably clean im fine, having travelled all over the world i have stopped in some rooms which i reckon after reading this thread most of you stuck up so and sos wouldn't even keep your dog

We stayed at a couple of Holiday Inn Expresses and a Travel Lodge when in the UK a few years back.

They were very clean, modern, comfortable beds, good breakfast included and very reasonably priced at 95 pounds a night.

The only gripe was that the Expresses had showers but no baths and my wife always prefers baths over showers

Exactly.

I always check out where Im going to book before I do so.

Whether it be with tripadvisor, googling for the particle area/hotel or asking around.

There was a show here a while back called Save My Holiday and they literally went to the same hotel in Turkey at least 5 times in a 14 show series. Every single person had similar complaints and issues. Yet, when asked, if they had done any research on the hotel they said they hadnt and trusted the agent that everything was correct. I wouldnt trust a travel agent to return a pen, let alone be honest about a booking. Granted, the state of the place was disgusting (crumbling patios, lied about a pool and play areas, roaches, unhygienic food prep and serving stations) but a quick look on tripadvisor would have alerted these people of the conditions..

No matter how much you pay to stay somewhere, you are entitled to a clean and healthy place to stay. Cockroaches and bed bugs are unacceptable whether you pay £200 or £10,000 for the trip.

Agree 100%.

This was typical of the dump Thomsons put us in after we'd paid for an upgrade. God knows what we'd have encountered if we hadn't.

243n635.jpg