Where is the best Thai restaurant in Sheffield?

s121986

That would be Thai-thai-ka (or is it Thai-ka-ka?)

I've always found the food quite tasty, but the serice a bit shambolic.

Yes I was going to put ka-ka but wasn't sure of the name. Only went the once and found it not a great experience.

We don't have any excellent ones in Sheffield bet is chaobaby in meadowhall if you can go to Leeds to their sister company Chaoporaya thts one of the best thais ever

Top Thai London Road excellent for cheap lunch not authentic enough for evening prices

I know Chaophraya in Leeds very well and yes it's very good. Better than anything in Sheffield I'm sorry to say. I hadn't made the association with Chao Baby in Meadowhall. I think the Meadowhall one is rather bland compared with the more authentic Thai food at Chaophraya.

---------- Post added 18-04-2015 at 09:20 ----------

We just had an amazing authentic meal at Top Thai on London Road. I've been to Thailand and Baan Thai restaurant and this place is by far the best place in Sheffield. Lovely, friendly staff, good value for money, super fresh ingredients and only just opened. Shall be going back again and again...aloi!!

I wonder what your 2nd post on here will be about?:suspect:

All these people who've ben to Thailand and not a sawadee krab / kah amongst them.

Considering at best all ingredients are flown in and as fresh as it is possible, having covered 10 k kms, none of it has the authentic street food taste or the village market out of the field fresh from the farm taste of Thailand.

As a consequence I cook my own. Considering the ingredients are coming from the same suppliers and delivered on the same day [ lemon grass, galangal, fresh chillies ] there isn't a massive gulf between my pak pak gruam mit nah man hoy and theirs.

But then I would say that wouldn't I?

Finally, friends ask to come and eat 'your rice'. The explanation being that simple kow suay - Jasmine rice done in a rice cooker - is out of this world.

Oh, and there's no VAT.

• 3 weeks later...
I can recommend thai at the travellers, best Thai I've had (out of Thailand of course!) :

http://www.thaiatthetravellers.co.uk/

One of the lovely Thai ladies that worked here has now opened her own restaurant on London road called top Thai! Beautiful food, very reasonably priced and BYO!! The decor a little dated bit very clean and excellent service. Can't wait to go back soon!

• 2 weeks later...
Owned by the same people as I'm sure you know.

All Siam is the up-market one of the two and I think it's probably the best I've tried in Sheffield. Put another way, it's the only half-decent one I've tried in Shefifeld (although Baan Thai used to be good once).

The downside is, it is very small and cramped and if you don't like sharing your conversation with those on the table next to you then it isn't ideal.

Which is the other one owned by All Siam?

I've been to All Siam and thought it was very good, though saying that, I thought the stir fry dishes could have been spicier.

Great that there seem to be a few around Sheffield now - Al Siam wins for me but have not tried Travellers yet. Next on the list!

let us know how you get on. It's about 3 years since I went to the Travellers for Thai. I am not in a rush to go back. It wasn't bad or anything - just nothing special.