Tripadvisor Sheffield Restaurant Reviews - Bogus?

Not sure whats going on with tripadvisor lately...usually I am happy to trust the advice on there....now not so sure...

http://goo.gl/VYMsE

Swanky Franks is currently rated as the #1 restaurant in Sheffield with a LOT of five star reviews from people who have ONLY reviewed SF...

Cubana is #3 ...

Funny they are owned by the same people...

Can it really be true that the best restaurant in Sheffield is SF?

I went a few months back and thought it was nothing special.

Not just a one off, this is a huge problem with Trip Advisor. As always, check the reviewers and other reviews... and if you rely on tripadvisor then make sure you write reviews (whether good, bad or average).

I hope SF it not the best restaurant in Sheffield. I went afew months ago thought it overpriced and nothing special. We had to ask for cutlery when our food came, ask to order some drinks and i'm assuming all the burgers where pre-cooked as we could have medium burgers ?. Wasn't very keen on decor upstairs either. Don't think i will be returning in a hurry.

On a brighter note though went to the mediterranean on sharrow vale road recently. Have to say the food and service was amazing. Not the cheapest place but worth every penny.

Its an average , so based thats it only had 18 reviews, it does make sense, but by no factual means thats its number 1

In fact I never heard of it... where the heckers is it ?? :S

I dont want to go.. I like what I like & think that each to their own, tripadvisor is very limited.

Tripadvisor and similar sites are the subject of an industry-wide debate at the moment because they can be subject to abuse. It is impossible to get reviews removed, even factually inaccurate ones, and anyone can make a review which is computer-ranked and not actually scrutinised by anybody.

It will fast lose it's credibility if these issues are not addressed.

I co-own a Sheffield restaurant and we have had both positive and negative impact from our customer reviews on Tripadvisor.

Edited by tad1

I co-own a Sheffield restaurant and we have had both positive and negative impact from our customer reviews on Tripadvisor.

Including 5 reviews in the 'excellent' category from reviewers who only posted this one review and nothing before or since! I am not casting aspersions on your restaurant but these one-off reviewers are clearly common. There is another problem with any review site and that is the issue of people being more willing to complain online after a bad meal/stay etc. than after a good one.

I always view the overall ratings with suspicion and make sure I read a few comments before making my mind up.

It would be quite easy to add an 'black box' rating mechanism which weights reviews based on the reviewers distribution and quantity of other reviews. I.e someone who has only reviewed 2 restaurants and given them both 5* is weighted less than someone who has reviewed 200 and given the full range of ratings possible... which you'd come to expect having been to lots of restaurants. A lot less open to gaming IMO.

Tripadvisor and similar sites are the subject of an industry-wide debate at the moment because they can be subject to abuse. It is impossible to get reviews removed, even factually inaccurate ones, and anyone can make a review which is computer-ranked and not actually scrutinised by anybody.

It will fast lose it's credibility if these issues are not addressed.

Assume its Ottos Tad1? You have some really positive reviews on TA and a handful of middling ones - all of which you have responded to which I think is very proactive - and yet you are only ranked #27 which seems a bit unfair..

Sadly havent been to Ottos as yet but I love the Mediterranean opposite which I think you are also involved in?

My point on TA is that I use it when travelling about to find decent places to eat (combined with other restaurant guides) and I do tend to read the reviews also first to check they are genuine.

I just feel its a shame that anyone visiting Sheffield would see a burger restaurant as #1 (when it clearly isnt the best restaurant in Sheffield)

I emailed TA about this and the fact that perhaps they should request copies of the bill from reviewers (to at least make sure they actually ate there) but they never answered.

Too easy for people to place fake reviews and boost the ratings and I beiieve it is the managers doing this or getting other people to do it who may not have eaten at the restaurants

Tripadvisor don't actually answer most queries / suggestions, unfortunately.

My husband has run The Med since 1999, you're right. Glad you enjoy going there.

As for reviews on TA, I, too, use it for research but unless the site starts to require reviewers to prove that they are genuine customers, the manipulation of rankings can continue. I have to say I am also amazed by some of the rankings but I am very careful about the views I express on the subject for obvious reasons. I have made positive reviews of Sheffield restaurants on TA but I cannot make a negative one or I would be accused of having ulterior motives. I NEVER review anything I'm connected with - that just muddies the waters as far as I'm concerned. Going to a restaurant is a very personal experience. At our place we take the view that it's about valuing our customers and offering the service and experience we would like to receive ourselves but others may disagree and make their choice based on price or even reputation. All we can do is stay true to ourselves and give of our best.

I'm only 3 years into the catering trade and I still have a rose-tinted view!

Trip advisor seems to be infested by either scorned self righteous haters or, conversely people posting completely baffling reviews which miss the mark entirely recently. its a cheap way to vent your anger if your a touch unhappy but there are a few who give a well rounded view and to be honest the best way to beat it is pick someone whos reviews seem legitimate and just use their reviews

I`ve done about 20 reviews for Trip Advisor, though I`m not sure how many more I`ll do, if any, because they`re so hard to get contact. In my opinion organisations who make it hard to contact them are demonstrating very little interest, even arrogance, in their customers.

Anyway, the secret of using Trip Advisor is to only take notice the average score. Don`t take much notice of the odd review which gives a score out of kilter with the rest.

And always take more notice of reviewers who have done a good number of reviews, and less of those who have only done a few. And be particularly wary of reviewers who have done only one......

Edited by Justin Smith