Solar Panel Megathread

How much did they cost to buy and fit?

Oooh just answered that in my next rant. :)

Oooh just answered that in my next rant. :)

Thanks.

Just wondering because i watched a programme not long ago about solar panels and hidden costs.

Some companies fit them on roofs that cannot withstand the weight,and the way they are fixed to the roof can be unsafe over time.

Also,don't they need parts replacing after so long?

And what are the implications if you want to sell up? Would it narrow down the market for potential buyers?

Thanks.

Just wondering because i watched a programme not long ago about solar panels and hidden costs.

Some companies fit them on roofs that cannot withstand the weight,and the way they are fixed to the roof can be unsafe over time.

Also,don't they need parts replacing after so long?

And what are the implications if you want to sell up? Would it narrow down the market for potential buyers?

The company you choose should first check that your roof can hold the weight - but you also need to take out insurance. There will be parts that need replacing over time, but when you consider the amount you're earning, it's worth the maintenence.

With regard to selling, if you had the choice of two identical houses, one that was going to cut your electricity bills & (by being on a higher FIT payment that is no longer available) would pay out £1000 per year, and one that doesn't - which would you choose? I appreciate this isn't the same for the ones that are fitted free - you are essentially then just renting out your roof to someone else for 25 years - that may or may not be attractive to someone buying.

I personally think that it's the companies fitting the systems free that have spoilt it. They're the ones with enough money to reap the benefits of a generous government incentive that was offered to individuals in order they go "green". People can (and no doubt will) question the motives of individuals having them, but if it's means people taking less energy from the national grid, it doesn't really matter.

Oh, and as for them looking outdated in a few years, I'm not sure I'll care too much - the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

:)

£9,000 to fit and - in *addition* to the free electricity (and subsequent lowering of bills) - 43p per unit generated, amounting to around £1000-£1500 per year. It was definitely viable. Maybe not so much now, but before, I assure you.

I'm talking about the electricity they produce, the only reason you are finding them viable is because other people are donating money to you because you have them, so it a good deal for you, but a crap deal for everyone else, I look for ethical ways to make money and save money and I don’t think its ethical to force other people to contribute to your fuel bills.

Our neighbours had them fitted some months ago and at a cost of approx £15k they will return approx 14%. Even with the revised FIT they will return about 7% so where else will you see that sort of return for your investment. They have used it as a sort of pension scheme. At the old tariff it was worth borrowing the money at say 7-8% over a couple of years. The one thing not to do is have companies fit them "for free" and give you a slice of money, sounds like a win win situation for them.

The government reduced the tariff as they were aware that costs had fallen over the last few months and the savings were not being passed on to the end user. This was one of the ways to try and force them onto it.

Also remember that we have signed up to reducing our carbon emissions by 2020 and if we don't we will end up paying massive fines- not sure who to, so we might as well spend the money giving it to ourselves beforehand and achieve the targets set for us.

Our neighbours had them fitted some months ago and at a cost of approx £15k they will return approx 14%. Even with the revised FIT they will return about 7% so where else will you see that sort of return for your investment. They have used it as a sort of pension scheme. At the old tariff it was worth borrowing the money at say 7-8% over a couple of years. The one thing not to do is have companies fit them "for free" and give you a slice of money, sounds like a win win situation for them.

The government reduced the tariff as they were aware that costs had fallen over the last few months and the savings were not being passed on to the end user. This was one of the ways to try and force them onto it.

Also remember that we have signed up to reducing our carbon emissions by 2020 and if we don't we will end up paying massive fines- not sure who to, so we might as well spend the money giving it to ourselves beforehand and achieve the targets set for us.

A bit like Canada and they have now pulled out, each country that pulls makes it more pointless to stay in. Depression is the big worry for the world and climate change is starting to take a back seat, the government may decide that the money being given to people with solar panels could be better spent elsewhere.

The people employed by solar panel companies will join HIP Inspectors, Energy Efficiency Advisers and Red Driving School instructors.

Seemed good at the time, but...

No it's not worth it in financial terms.

So who's stupid? The gov?

So effectively, if your son has (or some in his company) are being made redundant as a direct result of the halving of the tarrif, that's terrible!!!!...

It may be terrible but it just shows how many companies were set up just to capitalise on the FIT. The scheme is similar to those in Europe where the FIT was also cut so its not really an unexpected decision.

Even a shade greener have expressed their approval.

quote from their website;

FIT Payments Slashed by Government.

"We had anticipated this and actually think it is a good thing. It will clean up the industry."

I'm talking about the electricity they produce, the only reason you are finding them viable is because other people are donating money to you because you have them, so it a good deal for you, but a crap deal for everyone else, I look for ethical ways to make money and save money and I don’t think its ethical to force other people to contribute to your fuel bills.

Yup, and the reason the energy companies raise the cost to people without green energy is as a further incentive for more people to obtain it. For the good of the environment. Very ethical in some respects, but then, that's just our differing viewpoints, isn't it.

And when you said that it wasn't viable, I'm sure you can see where I made the mistake in understanding you. It sounded like you were doubting the finacial viability of the panels. Which, obviously, are very much so.

No it's not worth it in financial terms.

Could you elaborate further please?

Yup, and the reason the energy companies raise the cost to people without green energy is as a further incentive for more people to obtain it. For the good of the environment. Very ethical in some respects, but then, that's just our differing viewpoints, isn't it.

And when you said that it wasn't viable, I'm sure you can see where I made the mistake in understanding you. It sounded like you were doubting the finacial viability of the panels. Which, obviously, are very much so.

The reason it is unethical is because most people can’t benefit from solar panels but have no choice but to fund the panels for the small minority of people that can have them. The panels aren’t viable without the subsidy that other energy users are forced to pay.

Sorry but you lost me on the second paragraph.