Sheffield photos by Ron Sanderson

Excellent stuff if I may say so. Went through the entire 55 and love the picture taken of the Wicker from under the arches.......

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/sheffieldarchives/WICKER.jpg

thanks peterw!

there are over 200 pictures if you click on the blue sub-album titles ("parson cross" etc).

:)

sorry for poaching ron sanderson's thread.....mods feels free to shove all this onto my own thread here!:

http://sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=59850&highlight=photos

yeah, got the book, very good.some excellant shots of old sheffield. the artist/photographer has passed away but left some good memories behind.Shame i never met him because i'm also ron sanderson

not sure, but are those steps the ones leading down from the old main post office on flat street (fitzallen sq) going down to ponds forge

Just read some of the comments by various folk including the ones by bico, We live in a democrecy where all are able to have and voice their opinions without the risk of being persecuted, Bico like the rest of us is entitled to such an opinion,However it would be nice in my opinion if Bico diverted his writing /critic talent to photography, he could then show us how images that i'm sure wev'e all enjoyed could perhaps be better portraid to the enjoyment of even more like minded people..I'm not a photographer but do appreciate looking at pictures etc taken by people who are able to capture not just an image but the essence and memories from ones past...I for one am very please with my namesakes efforts

and thats how i can remember sheffield not like it is now just a complete mess I still think the old sheffield was the best, all these new buildings what are being put up are just a blot on the landscape, there is know character in them take the old rag & tag market you could buy anything in that market from live stock like hens, pigeons, and so forth I bet there is not many on here who can remember the big brass weighting scales that was in the old rag & tag market. I just wished I was taking photos of old sheffield when I was younger they would be brilliant to look back on now, just like them of ron sanderson took. i grew up in sheffield when it use to be like that so it did bring back some memories of the old sheffield that I knew.I will have to see about buying his book as I am now trying to get a collection of the old sheffield what I knew I need to take them to scotland when I move.

bigkev

i agree about the importance of taking pictures of things like the rag and tag.

of all the thousands of pictures i've taken over the past 30 years, the most interesting ones are also the most ordinairy, e.g. people going about their everyday business.

ron sanderson seems to have had a gut instinct for capturing something while it was still there, as if he knew everything was about to change.

pete

:)

For what it's worth I'd say that many of the posters on this thread have a verystrong emotional connection to the scenes portrayed in these photos,

I have no connection to these places, past or present and I look at them just as photographic records of Sheffield's history.

As photos (they are not works of art) they seem to me, with a few exceptions, to be just average, anybody could have taken them.

To an outsider there is something lacking in them and I think that in most of them the composition is poor , your just eye wanders over the scenes with no central point to pull you into the picture.

They are snapshots in the same way as many family and holiday photos are, interesting as records of how things were not great art.

My 2 pennyworth

.....your just eye wanders over the scenes with no central point to pull you into the picture.

They are snapshots ....

My 2 pennyworth

i agrere that your eye does wander over the scene, but i do enjoy the way ron sanderson's are composed.

some of my own photo's of sheffield are badly composed or cluttered, but i like to put enough in the picture sometimes to let the eye wander over it...

e.g. this one of mine:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/sheffieldarchives/fargateii.jpg

I haven't looked at the photographs yet. But I used to knock about with Ronnie before I got married. I had studied graphic design at Sheffield College of Art, and part of the course included photography. My mum got talking to him one night, and I showed him my work. We became gr8 friends. A bunch of us used to meet up at 5.30 on a Saturday in the Earl Francis. From memory Ron lived on Sky Edge rd I think. He came to my wedding and did our photo album as a present. A real gentlemen. We lost touch after I got married and moved away down south. Knowing Ron as I do he would have been pleased his work has been so praised, and probably laughed about it as well. As I remember it he wanted his work to be seen by the people of Sheffield in all its glory, but in the early 70's it was just a dream. RIP Ron.