Did anyone go to St Maries school on Edmund Rd

St Marie’s school on Edmund road is now a dental surgery. I was there in the 60s and occasionally go back and retrace my route to school from st Mary’s church. 
I used to love playing on the bombed out houses on shoreham st after school. I thought they might fall down on us. 

I would like to give a shout out to Michael Todd ( 1969 ish) . He asked me back to his house in J4 for tea. He was so polite and offered to walk me back to school after. 
I declined his offer as it was a long way and got lost. 
A Bobby on the beat came to my rescue. 
Also to Anthony Hinchecliffe who always picked me to dance on Friday afternoons in the dining room. 

I did from 1960 till 1966 my maiden name was Shepherd I was there when Sister Mary Dennis was the head teacher 

On 14/03/2016 at 17:26, topten said:

I went to St Maries from 57 -63 remember Miss Worth ( with the big boobies she used to rest her arms on them!! Sr Maria took the reception class - she was a gentle nun & Sr Mary Dennis was the head teacher, no fond memories of her!!! Kevin Dempsey was my 2nd Cousin a bit older than me. My older sister Anne Dempsey & cousin Margaret Gregg were there in the early 50's, also Eileen Gregg & Cath Singleton. In my class was Linda Rawlins ( who had an older brother caller Terry ) Kathleen Royston & Valerie Powell, we all went on to St Pauls & caught up at the reunion. Am trying to remember more names :loopy: My name was Elizabeth Dempsey

I remember a girl called Brenda Powell a tall  girl I don't know if she was related to Valerie, I lived further up Edmund Road from the school 

On 18/10/2020 at 00:41, Baron99 said:

4 of us & a few cousins went to St. Marie's roughly from around the early 1960's to the mid 1970's, not long after the new school was built up at Fulwood.   We all ended up at St Paul's / All Saints on Granville Rd. 

Certainly remember Sister Mary Dennis, or Sister Hairy Menace, as some called her.  She was a scary Nun.  Used to strike fear into small children.  You never heard her coming.  It was like she was on wheels; seemed to glide across the floor? 

Certainly remember the small ping-pong bat that she would suddenly produce from her robes.  If you were lucky, you'd get the flat side of the bat on your hand.  Occasionally, it might have been the bat, edge on, on the back of the hand. Different times then. 

Teachers I & friends recall?  Miss Cane (Caine), apt for a teacher & what you got on a Monday morning if no one spotted you at any mass the previous day.  Being made to stand in the corner facing the wall if you'd done something you shouldn't have or having to stand on a chair while the whole class looked at you being ridiculed.  (Is it too late to put a compo claim in do you think on Human Rights grounds?). 

Also seem to recall a young novice Nun, Sister Irene in the reception class who was great with children.  I know she never became a Nun as she left & a few years later my mum, brothers & sister bumped into her coming out of a house in Nether Edge. 

Also remember the massive, metal, main front door; the classrooms' folding doors that could be set back to make one large room that ran most of the length of each floor; the Brothers' house at the far end of the building, just over the wall & the supposedly 'haunted' bell tower.   Rumour was a female pupil once hung herself up there?  (Let's face it, good story to keep the children from climbing up to the bell tower).  The wooden floor classrooms - picked up many a splinter. 

Anyone remember Mr Riles' (think that was his name?) sweet shop just down towards St. Mary's Rd that would be packed with kids & their mums, just after school ended for the day? 

Do you remember Mrs Renick she taught there and her daughter attended there

On 18/10/2009 at 18:21, pearson158 said:

yself and my 2 sisters went there Margaret, Glenys and Yvonne Kelly. Sister Mary was evil..........................................................................................

I went there in 63 for 6 months and moved to Foxhill so went to ST Thomas Mores at Grenoside. The nuns were evil there too. Sister Brendan 4 foot tall but jeeez she was an evil old B-----d . Now as I have grown up I realise how nasty the nuns were.

I'm sorry to hear that you had such negative experiences with the nuns during your time at the schools. It's unfortunate when individuals in positions of authority abuse their power and mistreat others. It's essential to remember that not all nuns or individuals from any group are the same, and many do great work in their communities. However, it's also important to acknowledge and address any instances of mistreatment or abuse. If you feel comfortable, sharing your experiences and raising awareness can help prevent similar situations from happening in the future. Remember, everyone deserves to be treated with respect and kindness.