Did anyone go to St Maries school on Edmund Rd

i went there around 1961 to 66 then onto St Pauls. I remember Miss worth, sister mary dennis and her bat.

There was a rumour that went round when the school became empty. A kid called mark (surname withheld due to shame lol) went to steal the school bell. This was apparently quite big and heavy? and fell on him causing him some injury. I have a vague memory the bell was high up on a wall or roof. Can anyone recall?

YES the bell was in a bell tower top of the school...spiral steps up to the bell and a door at the bottom...Somebody rang it ..dont know who//never heard of the bell thief but good luck to him/her whoever!!! Also a Nun who stood at the door ringing a handbell...Bewrae the latecomers..

i went for its final year, my first year at school. it must have been in 71, i was born in 66 so its seems about right. my teacher was a nun who was really nice but when i moved up to st maries oin fulwood i remember the headteacher sister mary dennis used to regularly punish pupils with a big table tennis type bat, often for very minor offences. i had it several times. a bit brutal

I remeber Sister Mary Dennis, sure it was a man in drag, miserable old dear, she had a tash, i was at St Maries from 1964 - 1968

I went to St Maries between 64 and 69. I remember Mrs Cook, Miss Cummins and of course Sister Mary Dennis. There was also a very lovely nun, young, who used to look after the youngest class. cant remember her name. I can't remember the round bat but I do remember taking in a small flat rounders bat, similar to a small cricket bat for a jumble sale. Sister MD bought it! I was fond of that bat. The bat later became very fond of me! If she used it on you. Sorry. I remember lots of Polish friends. I didn't go to St Pauls afterwards so lost touch. Fond memories.

I went to St Maries. 1948? I think. I was in the Centenary production about St Maries Church. did the Prologue and the Epilogue../ The Spirit of the Bells. my Title..Wow It seems about a hundred years ago.. Miss Flynn and Mr Mc ?? the headmaster>.? Must have been around the time of when they had the old railway horses pulling the empty goods trucks in Queens road Rly Yard.

the School Bell had me running in the morning as I came all the way from Meadowhead on the bus.My Siter Pat Kenrick..She went to Notre Dame.I went on to DeLa Salle. My first Girl friend Wendy Synot(?)

I left St Maries in 1948 and the names of the teachers you mention were

miss Flynn and Mr Mcgloyn the brothers were Mathew and the head was brother Hugh

as I mentioned I still have a photo of the football team

and yes the railway drays used to rumble along Leadmill rd over the cobble road.

lots of memories of Sheffield and the blitz are still fresh in my mind.

did any one go to st maries 1947 to 50.s my friends were norma macgovern and veronica snaith. gerald bowlding and philip hobson

---------- Post added 17-11-2013 at 23:36 ----------

i went to st maries ,so did my sister pat and brother thomas it was the most frightening school .

---------- Post added 21-11-2013 at 08:26 ----------

did any one go to st maries 1947 to 50.s my friends were norma macgovern and veronica snaith. gerald bowlding and philip hobson

---------- Post added 17-11-2013 at 23:36 ----------

i went to st maries ,so did my sister pat and brother thomas it was the most frightening school .

i would love to find my friends. Edited by Nora Ismay

does anyone remember sister hilary and brother hue. i remember allan smith and family got a picture of st maries school .looks more like a prison which as a child i thought it was.

yes Nora

we all have memories of the old school, some good some bad

but no matter how old you get you never forget the pleasant things such as

hot bread from the shop on Leadmill Rd and hearing the clatter of the horses

and rattle of the railway drays over the cobbles on the road.

the last time I visited Manton St there were no houses just industrial

units no more Mr Bennets shop or the gas lamp on the corner of the lane

next to our house at no 6. I often wonder where all the people have gone

happy days

hello , i lived on hanover lane and we had to walk to school hail blow or snow. being the eldest of nine i had to take my younger brothers and sisters with me. we were bullied at school by other pupils. i was caned often by the nuns, sister hilery and sister mary. we were so happy when my father took us away from st maries i then went to st vincents. sister lucy and sister cecelia were two of the nicest people to come into my life. i lived in fear of going to st maries every day.

Didn't go to St. Maries [fortunately] but i did live on 15,Hanover Lane till 1948. Nelly.who had a club foot,had a grocers shop at the top of the lane. The first house down from there was the Gummer family [my grandparents] next door was our family house. In the next one lived a lady called Irene & her daughter [ Yvonne?] & below them was the Davies family. [Who had two rooms downstairs, & a yard!]

The others had three rooms in the house, living room, bedroom,& attic, plus a coal cellar, with a bomb site for a view & outside toilets. No complaints though, Mum made it a home! Incidently, my school was Pomona St.

Was born in Sheffield but we moved away whilst I was still a baby. Returned in 53 & went to St Maries.

We came back after the start of term so I was taken by my mother for a personal introduction to the Head who was a nun.

I was only six but I recall it clearly. As we stood talking to her I couldn't help but notice that she had a large wooden crucifix hanging off her left hip & a table tennis bat hanging off her right hip.

It crossed my mind that maybe she was a fanatical ping-pong player & everything would be fine.

Alas :(

I recall some brilliant snowball fights in the yard with the entire school divided into two & going at it hell for leather. :)

we lived at 27 hanover lane off hodgson st at the top was milton st. our next door neighbour was nellie willis the next one up was mrs garside thenjohn and helen Hudson they had twe daughters valarie and linda. thea lady that had the shop was emla grayson she had a son called leonard and daughter called pat. i,m 72 years now but i recall playing in the lane very clearly

it was a long way to walk to school in those days.

---------- Post added 07-01-2014 at 19:16 ----------

was it upper hanover lane where you lived

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 07:45 ----------

i was in miss worths class and i rememberr her hitting my sister who was younger than me with a rubber dagger in the play ground.:(does any one rememberJohnReagan and Philip Hobson i will be forever grateful to Johnas he came to help me after being bullied by Paddy Lanigan for me and my brother and sister it was a School FROM hELL.