George and Dragon Wentworth - gone downhill

I had sunday lunch at the george and dragon yesterday.

The food was unrecognisible from what it once was

The prices have gone up and the quality down big time.

I know there are new landlords- but the place was dead compared to a couple of years ago for a sunday afternoon.

I had the "home made" pie chips and peas" which to be honest was a joke for 9.95 - never been home made in a month of sundays.

I have emailed the george and dragon with my feedback, and I certainly wont be eating there in the future

The food was two for a fiver standard at best

I agree. Had a lovely sunday roast about 2 years ago. Had a terrible one about 6months ago. Certainly wouldnt go back!

I went in there about a month ago. I go mainly for the very well kept and interesting range of ales - plus, it's got a really nice big garden at the back where the kids can play.

I noticed it looked a bit more "spruced up" than usual. I assume they'd decorated. Then I realised I didn't recognise the bar staff and then I realised the interesting selection of ales wasn't what it was.

I've not given up on it yet. Because I might just have been unlucky on the day I went to find not much of a selection of real ales on tap. However, if this is a sign of how they plan to run it then I won't be making many visits because it's a good 35 mins drive for me anyhow.

On a recent trip found this once thriving pub surprisingly deserted. Tried a pint and it was ok but not as nice as I remember. Upped sticks and went to the commercial at chapeltown and beer was fantastic and cheaper. Not admittedly the rural charm of the G&D and not as far as I know a pub to eat in - but the ale was first class. Hope the G&D is only going through a "blip" because it used to be well worth a visit.

On a recent trip found this once thriving pub surprisingly deserted. Tried a pint and it was ok but not as nice as I remember. Upped sticks and went to the commercial at chapeltown and beer was fantastic and cheaper. Not admittedly the rural charm of the G&D and not as far as I know a pub to eat in - but the ale was first class. Hope the G&D is only going through a "blip" because it used to be well worth a visit.

Actually, you'd be surprised by food, it is very underrated there and you'd be hard pushed to find better value for money in the surrounding areas here is a link to the menu, well worth a try http://thecommie.co.uk/menu . As for the beer, it won CAMRA's prestigious pub of the month award recently and was the location for a recent CAMRA branch meeting so it is obviously held in high esteem.

I dont disagree about the lack of rural charm, though the beer garden at the bottom of the car park is usually rather quiet and pleasant and sufficiently away from the noise of the main road.

Actually, you'd be surprised by food, it is very underrated there and you'd be hard pushed to find better value for money in the surrounding areas here is a link to the menu, well worth a try http://thecommie.co.uk/menu . As for the beer, it won CAMRA's prestigious pub of the month award recently and was the location for a recent CAMRA branch meeting so it is obviously held in high esteem.

I dont disagree about the lack of rural charm, though the beer garden at the bottom of the car park is usually rather quiet and pleasant and sufficiently away from the noise of the main road.

Thanks for the menu link -will give it a try some time.

we went 3week ago, the menu was very limited & vastly over priced, the meals wernt upto much at all, very poor in fact.

Stick a pub in a nice place and they think they can charge what they want and get away with it,the food at G&D last year was quite good,shame its down the pan.

Paid £3 for a pint of Deception at the Notfolk sunday and it was poor,in the Bath a lot cheaper and 10 times better.

Have eaten both in The George and Dragon and The Rockingham, many times over the past few months, and no complaints, The Rockingham cheaper meals, the George more expensive but in my opinion better quality, nowt wrong with either establishment, be it i do agree the George and Dragon could have been busier, such a large garden, nice weather and yet quiet.

The prices may put off the familys from attending in numbers, but still in my opinion worth a visit.

Have eaten both in The George and Dragon and The Rockingham, many times over the past few months, and no complaints, The Rockingham cheaper meals, the George more expensive but in my opinion better quality, nowt wrong with either establishment, be it i do agree the George and Dragon could have been busier, such a large garden, nice weather and yet quiet.

The prices may put off the familys from attending in numbers, but still in my opinion worth a visit.

went to rockingham over a month ago, the menu was a hell of a lot better than G&D's, although there was quite a wait because it was so busy, it was well worth it

went to rockingham over a month ago, the menu was a hell of a lot better than G&D's, although there was quite a wait because it was so busy, it was well worth it

Compare the real steak pies, a big difference in quality and price, be it the Rockingham offer two pies, one in individual pots, the second a slice of a tray pie, nowt wrong at all with the Rockingham. The Prices are much cheaper, but the George pie in my opinion is of better quality, i dont mind paying that bit extra but some will.

Nowt wrong with either pub, love the pubs, beers and area..and all within walking distance.:hihi:

Compare the real steak pies, a big difference in quality and price, be it the Rockingham offer two pies, one in individual pots, the second a slice of a tray pie, nowt wrong at all with the Rockingham. The Prices are much cheaper, but the George pie in my opinion is of better quality, i dont mind paying that bit extra but some will.

Nowt wrong with either pub, love the pubs, beers and area..and all within walking distance.:hihi:

i had the pie at G&D 3week ago, it was very poor, 4 in our group had it & all said it wasnt worth its money. agree the beers & surroundings are great