Buying a Static Caravan

Can anyone give me some advice! Im looking buy a static caravan on the east coast more bridlington end. Not got a great deal to spend looking at £6000.00 does anyone know any good sites what help you set up an the ground rent isnt vast ? cheers for any tips !!!!!

Edited by Ashlie

If you have £ 600 to spend then I doubt you will actually find a static at this price on a site.

The majority of sites will have ground rent in the region of £ 2-2.5k per annum but you may find a few around which charge less than £ 1.5k per annum.

In all honesty I think you will struggle.

you will struggle with that amount like fling said the ground rent is £1000+ if you but private you will have £1000+ change over fee to pay to the site and you arnt going to get a decent van for that sort of money anywhere, just be warned that most sites will only let the van stay on a certain amount of years and then u have to scrap them or take them off the site

I think it should read 6000.00 as the point is in the wrong place.

I would have alook at site own vans as no change over fee to pay. But with a site van you will have to kit it out yourself.

Buying private you may get everything included but will need to pay about 1,500 for transfer fees.

Check out ground rents before too, they can vary from site to site.

Best thing i would suggest is having a weekend where you want to be and go around the sites.

thanx everyone yes the dot was in the wrong place lol

Don't do it, save your £6000 and all the site fees etc & put down a deposit on a holiday home, mortgage would be cheaper. Caravans don't hold value anymore and dont rent out fir much money now. My nan must have lost £50,000 on caravans by now. I have a chalet in chapel St leonards & that's even worse as I can't transfer sites & they are asking for £5000 to renew ground lease for 4 years plus the yearly £1500 and then there's council tax on them. Save your money

Can anyone give me some advice! Im looking buy a static caravan on the east coast more bridlington end. Not got a great deal to spend looking at £6000.00 does anyone know any good sites what help you set up an the ground rent isnt vast ? cheers for any tips !!!!!

Try Saltfleet near Mablethorpe two brilliant sites one is The New Inn the other is Tucky,s the fees are £1200 PER YEAR APPROX and vans start around £3000 up to £30000, the New Inn Site is Brilliant the gaffer is one of the lads and very helpfull.Two pubs in village and the biggest beach in Lincolnshire.

Don't do it, save your £6000 and all the site fees etc & put down a deposit on a holiday home, mortgage would be cheaper. Caravans don't hold value anymore and dont rent out fir much money now. My nan must have lost £50,000 on caravans by now. I have a chalet in chapel St leonards & that's even worse as I can't transfer sites & they are asking for £5000 to renew ground lease for 4 years plus the yearly £1500 and then there's council tax on them. Save your money

I agree...save your money.

Buy a tourer instead then you can go where you want, when you want.

No ground rent to pay...just pay as you go.

If you have £ 600 to spend then I doubt you will actually find a static at this price on a site.

The majority of sites will have ground rent in the region of £ 2-2.5k per annum but you may find a few around which charge less than £ 1.5k per annum.

In all honesty I think you will struggle.

What are the facts?

Re-read the post. Six thousand pounds - not six hundred.

What are the facts?

Re-read the post. Six thousand pounds - not six hundred.

It's been altered since that post was made, it did read 600 to start!

If you manage to get a static for £6K (very unlikely) the resale value (usually back to the site owner - check their rules!) will fall to around £4K (i.e. £2K loss).

A lot of sites won't let you sub-let (except to family) - fees are around £40 to £50 a WEEK! - gas and electricity are extra - there may be extra maintenance charges (grass cutting etc.) -

you will need to insure the static (around £160 pa).

Most sites close for two to three months a year ( so all these costs rise relatively).

Add on travel costs and these things become a v. expensive holiday plan.

The only way to make them pay is to live on the site for most of the year.

Don't do it.

I can't argue with the comments that static caravans make little financial sense, but we and our family enjoy numerous short breaks at the coast.the advantage for us over a tourer is that it's so much easier to up and go on the spur of the moment when the sun shines.

If that's what you want do it but the site costs and conditions are the important factors.Our site can require you to dispose of caravans over 12 years old.Some may go to 15 years.