Best way to deal with trolls

Rickie - I find that deeply funny coming from you.

Please let me know where I have trolled, and where there other posters have trolled.............oh wait I see what you are doing. A master class in it right now. You cheeky monkey

I'm sure other posters don't want to know about your obsession but a few weeks ago you derailed a thread I started about staffy attacks on kids and for the next few days every post I made was followed by you making some smartass sarcastic comment, regardless of the thread. It was only when I reported you to the mods and you got a ban that it stopped.

Really is it that simple? I thought your IP was fixed.

Well, for a lot of people it works yes. There are other ways and means of forcing an IP change but I'm certainly not going in to that detail on a thread discussing trolling.

I'm sure other posters don't want to know about your obsession but a few weeks ago you derailed a thread I started about staffy attacks on kids and for the next few days every post I made was followed by you making some smartass sarcastic comment, regardless of the thread. It was only when I reported you to the mods and you got a ban that it stopped.

Give over, That thread may as well have been in the I'm Bored section with all the nonsense you came out with in it :roll:

Well, for a lot of people it works yes. There are other ways and means of forcing an IP change but I'm certainly not going in to that detail on a thread discussing trolling.

:hihi::hihi:fair enough, i thought you had to pay for software or get a new provider. anyway ive just figured out wifi.:hihi:

Why should anyone want to change an ip or user name?

Isn't that like been thrown out of the cinema for being naughty and trying to sneak back in.

I know we don't discuss bans here but I wasn't banned. Not sure why you thought that. I wasn't trolling, I was using humour to highlight the flaws in your argument back then. It was clearly lost on you as you are still unhappy about it.

I wasn't following you around rickie, trust me, but when I see something that is so ridiculous I like to use humour within my posts, which many people PM me about and not to complain.

I was probably commenting on what you said for a very good reason.

Edited by Fishcake

Isn't that like been thrown out of the cinema for being naughty and trying to sneak back in.

True, but there has been quite a few trolls over the last couple of weeks who've been exiled, and come back the same day under a new alias, but we (and you) know it's them again...

I know we don't discuss bans here but I wasn't banned. Not sure why you thought that. I wasn't trolling, I was using humour to highlight the flaws in your argument back then. It was clearly lost on you as you are still unhappy about it.

I wasn't following you around rickie, trust me but when I see something that is so ridiculous I like to use humour within my posts, which many people PM me about and not to complain.

I was probably commenting on what you said for a very good reason.

sure you were:D:help::D

why should anyone want to change an ip or user name?

it is sir what a fantastic comment sir.

Trolls get a kick out of that sort of thing though. They get banned and are sad enough to come straight back under a different name. It must be a pretty sad existence if the highlight of your day is creating multiple accounts with the sole reason of trying to provoke reactions from faceless strangers on the internet.

Youtube is based in the US, they have "free speech"

So does the UK, it's only certain sites that don't.

so idiots can say what they want on there with no fear of reprisals.

As they can (and do) on here.

As mentioned above, Idiot != troll.

Its possible but its way harder to get a new IP

No it's not.

Even cable IP's are dynamic, let alone ADSL. All you have to do is release your IP and wait for it's lease to expire (leaving the modem off for a couple of days is often a good way to release it).

If you get suspended it's for breaking forum rules

To be fair though, the rules are pretty ambiguous in their wording, so it's really rather easy to be banned.

invariably they eventually reveal themselves

You can usually tell within a couple of days (couple of posts for some) when they have "recently joined" and have something like 132 posts within a very short period of time and only on specific topics.