Sign in to follow this  

City centre DVD rentals

Does anyone know a decent DVD rental outlet in the city centre? In the past I've used Blockbuster on Ecclesall Road, but I've recently moved to Riverside Exchange on Millsands. I've been to Blockbuster a few times since moving there, but it's a one hour round trip on foot, including the time spent in the store. Is there anywhere else in the centre that's closer to me than Blockbuster?

Cheers. :)

There is Appolo Video on London Road, opposite the Cremorne.

Ok, but a small shop so they don't have 100 copies of the latest film like Blockbuster.

Good question. I was actually thinking about this the other day but thought my lack of knowledge was due to never renting DVDs from a bricks and mortar store.

I'd recommend something like Screenselect or Lovefilm where they mail the movies to you. It's a monthly subscription. However there are enough competing companies around that you can get about 6 months worth of free rentals by signing up to the free trials and then cancelling before the contract kicks in. Plus if you go through a cashback site like Quidco you can actually get paid to sign up to the trials.

My long winded point is, why walk 1 hour when you can get them sent to your door and even get paid to watch them :D The services are more or less decent, some have slow turn around times or mediocre selection but over all it's great.

Originally posted by genesiscouch

However there are enough competing companies around that you can get about 6 months worth of free rentals by signing up to the free trials and then cancelling before the contract kicks in.

Sadly not :) I tried this only to discover that most other companies, e.g. Tesco DVD rental are in fact run by Lovefilm, and if you have already had a trial from Lovefilm it tracks this up and won't allow you to have another one.

Why don't we have a blockbuster in town? :loopy:

Originally posted by Twiglet

Sadly not :) I tried this only to discover that most other companies, e.g. Tesco DVD rental are in fact run by Lovefilm, and if you have already had a trial from Lovefilm it tracks this up and won't allow you to have another one.

Some companies eg Tesco use ScreenSelect or LoveFilm to supply their DVDs, but most are independent. Check out http://www.uk-dvd-rental-guide.com for more details of all 38 dvd rental services in the uk.

I've used Love Fil And Screenselect and if you actually want to watch a specific film don't bother as you jhardly ever get any from the top of your list. If you watch in bulk then they are worthwhile.

Amazon are meant to be good at getting you the dvds ou want to see but I've never used them.

It has always shocked me why there is no rental palace in town. bit silly really. I'd much rather pop out in my lunch hour than fiddle about walking out of my way after work to get/return dvds.

someone open one . please

Originally posted by Old_Bloke

Some companies eg Tesco use ScreenSelect or LoveFilm to supply their DVDs, but most are independent. Check out http://www.uk-dvd-rental-guide.com for more details of all 38 dvd rental services in the uk.

Yup good link Old_Block :thumbsup:

So first scan the list and start from the top. Check if they have an affiliate program as then you can get money back from Quidco. Here's the ones I know of (all of them are for free trials):

Screenselect - £12.50 back

Lovefilm - £13.00 back

Mailbox Movies - £2.50

Cinema Paradiso - £0.50

So that's 4 months of free DVD rental and £28.50 in your pocket ;)