Is it time for Britain to get out of the EU

Why would they do that, just to be vindictive? We're dealing with sovereign nations, not school children...

'Free movement of goods' was intended to prevent trade barriers. If the UK doesn't want to be a part of the EU, why should the EU grant the UK favourable trading rights?

... Do you think big business or nation states will want trade barriers between us?

Have you forgotten the incidents where French farmers poured kerosene on British lamb imports because they didn't like the competition?

Other non-EU countries pay import tarriffs on their goods (which is why many of them have set up factories within the EU.)

If (for instance) Toyota and BMW had to pay EU import tarriffs on vehicles manufactured in the UK and imported into the EU, how long do you think they would continue to make cars in the UK?

'Free movement of goods' was intended to prevent trade barriers. If the UK doesn't want to be a part of the EU, why should the EU grant the UK favourable trading rights?

Have you forgotten the incidents where French farmers poured kerosene on British lamb imports because they didn't like the competition?

Other non-EU countries pay import tarriffs on their goods (which is why many of them have set up factories within the EU.)

If (for instance) Toyota and BMW had to pay EU import tarriffs on vehicles manufactured in the UK and imported into the EU, how long do you think they would continue to make cars in the UK?

That works the other way around too. What if there were import duties added to European cars imported to the UK, such as Peugeot, Citroen and Fiat? Do you see, if the EU started adding on unfair duties to goods imported from the UK, the UK would no doubt act in kind which would also harm European business such as those European car manufacturers.

Not being part of the EU does not mean not being part of a single market, nor disallowing the free movement of goods.

As for the French farmers, well, that's just what the French do. :)

I'm all in favour of a referendum on whether or not we remain in the EU but only on the condition that each voter passes a test on their knowledge of the pros and cons of membership.

That works the other way around too. What if there were import duties added to European cars imported to the UK, such as Peugeot, Citroen and Fiat? Do you see, if the EU started adding on unfair duties to goods imported from the UK, the UK would no doubt act in kind which would also harm European business such as those European car manufacturers.

Not being part of the EU does not mean not being part of a single market, nor disallowing the free movement of goods.

Are you seriously suggesting that a trade war between the UK and the EU would be anything less than catastrophic for the UK?

I expect us to join this list.

Add Germany, Austria and France to the list, along with the UK, and the EU would be as dead as a Dodo.

Are you seriously suggesting that a trade war between the UK and the EU would be anything less than catastrophic for the UK?

If you'd read my posts above you would know I'm saying the opposite. But you illustarte a good point, yes a trade war would be catostrophic for both the UK and EU, which is exactly why suggestions of a dire collapse in trade with the EU or suggestions of unfavourable trade barriers being put in place between the UK and EU is nonsense.

If the British government imposed an import duty on EU-made cars, then either people in the UK would pay more for cars or they would have to buy British-made cars.

No doubt there would be queues of people wishing to set up car-making plants in the UK. - They could buy the Cowley plant from BMW, the Honda factory in Swindon, the Vauxhall factories in Luton and Ellesmere Port and the Toyota factories in Burnaston and Deeside. Those manufacturers would be forced (kicking and screaming?) to set up elsewhere. I doubt that many EU countries would turn them away.

Non-EU manufacturers wishing to import goods into the EU already pay import duties. They're not 'unfair' duties, they're simply duties imposed on those manufacturers (which is why so many non-EU manufacturers have factories in the UK and elsewhere in the EU.) I'm quite sure many non-EU countries would be more than happy to allow their products to be sold in the EU without EU customers having to pay import dutues, but they don't set EU import duties.

Estimates vary, but the most accurate ones suggest that EU membership costs at least £10 per person per day (for every adult resident of the UK). We gain no benefit at all, plus:

a. we have to stump-up £££ to bail-out the more feckless of its member countries;

b. we cannot control the ceaseless influx of EU immigrants; and

c. many UK laws are foisted on us by the unelected and faceless EU bureaucracy.

I agree that some UK citizens are in favour of continued membership. I do so hope that they too will support an early UK Referendum on whether we should stay or go.

No doubt there would be queues of people wishing to set up car-making plants in the UK. - They could buy the Cowley plant from BMW, the Honda factory in Swindon, the Vauxhall factories in Luton and Ellesmere Port and the Toyota factories in Burnaston and Deeside. Those manufacturers would be forced (kicking and screaming?) to set up elsewhere. I doubt that many EU countries would turn them away.

Non-EU manufacturers wishing to import goods into the EU already pay import duties. They're not 'unfair' duties, they're simply duties imposed on those manufacturers (which is why so many non-EU manufacturers have factories in the UK and elsewhere in the EU.) I'm quite sure many non-EU countries would be more than happy to allow their products to be sold in the EU without EU customers having to pay import dutues, but they don't set EU import duties.

My bold - but you assume this based on the assumption of increased import taxes levied on UK goods imported to the EU which is not a foregone conclusion. I don't think it would happen. Switzerland, Norway and Iceland trade freely with the EU and are part of the single market but are not part of the EU, so there are already precedents set for this nice middle way. YES to economic cooperation, NO to political union and EU federalism. The EU and big business are in the business of maintaining liberalised trade, import duties put on UK goods would harm all, as the UK would probably respond in kind, which would harm European manufacturers.

Edited by mj.scuba

Without having any say whatsoever over that market though? Also do you believe that the EU countries wouldn't put some sort of penalty upon us for removing our financial backing of the EU? I can't see them taking it laying down.
The Germans certainly would! as basically the EU club is their third crack at word dominance!

If you'd read my posts above you would know I'm saying the opposite. But you illustarte a good point, yes a trade war would be catostrophic for both the UK and EU, which is exactly why suggestions of a dire collapse in trade with the EU or suggestions of unfavourable trade barriers being put in place between the UK and EU is nonsense.

I think that the EU wouldn't let the UK leave without imposing some sort of penalty, if anything to make up for the shortfall in income from us leaving, I can't see Germany and France stumping up more money.

If we also imposed a trade duty on the EU it's my opinion that whilst it'll be damaging for the EU, it'll destroy our economy. There is no way that we'd win an economic war against the largest exporter, the largest importer of goods and services, and the biggest trading partner to the United States, China and India.

We need to be inside this union making sure it makes decisions that help our country.

The thing is both sides of the mainstream argument know this, but the eurosceptics continue pander to popular opinion in order to squeeze as much popularity out of the movement as possible.

Without having any say whatsoever over that market though? Also do you believe that the EU countries wouldn't put some sort of penalty upon us for removing our financial backing of the EU? I can't see them taking it laying down.

As a member of the WTO, Where would we stand.

http://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/whatis_e/whatis_e.htm