Work reference problems?

Wanting advice on references please?

My son got offered a job monday, subject to two references. My son then sent the references by email. The employer then tried to contact them by phone but my son was told she was haveing trouble getting the references. Obviously this has concerned my son? Both references should come up clean. The firm who offered him the job are now ignoring his calls which sounds strange?

Does anyone know firstly can references be done over the phone willy nilly this does not seem very professional?

Can previous employees put bad things about them even tho there was no disaplinary?

Surely my son should get feedback as to whats going on? Is he allowed to know what was put in the references?

Sould he take legel advice?

Any help would much be appreciated this could effect my son getting a job in the future.

Thankyou

I'm confused. If they are references; surely he would have spoken to them, first, to get their approval?

My son got offered a job monday, subject to two references. My son then sent the references by email. The employer then tried to contact them by phone but my son was told she was haveing trouble getting the references. Obviously this has concerned my son? Both references should come up clean. The firm who offered him the job are now ignoring his calls which sounds strange?

Does anyone know firstly can references be done over the phone willy nilly this does not seem very professional?

Can previous employees put bad things about them even tho there was no disaplinary?

Surely my son should get feedback as to whats going on? Is he allowed to know what was put in the references?

Any help would much be appreciated this could effect my son getting a job in the future.

Thankyou

From what i believe you cannot put a bad reference in, but i would imagine you could refuse to do one- which i suppose would set alarm bells ringing

Yes -I WOULD IMAGINE THEY CAN BE DONE OVER THE PHONE

Its only common courtesy to give feedback but this day and age anything goes- hundreds and thousands of letters for jobs will go in the post daily- but only a handful will ever get replys

Thankyou

Can previous employees say bad things about him even though he was never disciplined? Yes, of course they can - there'd be no point in references if they had to be positive would there?

It would be the right thing for the prospective employee to be straight with him and say - ''Sorry, we weren't happy with the references, but as far as I'm aware they have absolutely no obligation to do so.

Legal advice? What for? The prospective employer hasn't acted illegally.

As you said in your post he was offered the post subject to the references. It's not just a case of them coming back 'clean'.

Your son might not have any disciplinary record against him, but the references might say, for example that his work was not particularly good or that they didn't think he had a good attitude or somesuch.

I'm not suggesting that that is the case, but my best guess is that the employer wasn't impressed with the references.

I think your son should continue in his attempts to contact the firm, but I'm afraid they may just have changed their minds.

Not often I can say that I agree with Halibut but on this matter I actually do!

Contrary to popular belief, employers can give bad references so long as they are based on fact, not opinion. For example if you were late a lot they could say that your time keeping was not acceptable but they can't say things that aren't true or can't be backed up with evidence. If a reference is not an accurate account, then they could be liable for slander.

A lot of places would just state the basic facts such as dates worked, job title etc rather than giving a bad reference.