Alfred Scott Upholstery

On 16 June 2013 at 3:05 PM, rum do said:

Hi Keith

I do remember you,you liked Elvis if I remember correctly me and Pete gave you a lift home on a couple of occasions.

Its good to hear from you I also remember the people you have mentioned the bloke that took over was Mr Thornborough you are correct he was useless.

Do you still see Pete Greenough lost touch with him after he left the gas board.I still work there after 37 years its National Grid now.

The reason I started to try to contact people was, I read an artical about Green Lane Works and it stated it was owned by Tyzacks for arround a hundred years, but I believe George Scott either owned or rented it from 1939.

I have been told they are going to build on the land but keep the entrance.

If you see Pete please remember me to him.

You have the wrong Green Lane Works, the one that Scott Duride worked in was at the Penistone Road end whereas Tyzacs was  towards Kelham Island / Corporation Street end.

We used to get bags of sawdust from there in 1957 vans full of it to soak oil up from the garage floor and pits,Kelham Island including Green Lane works is now being converted into apartments and housing also restaurants and bars.its become the place to live for young people.

• 4 years later...

My father, Gordon Pearson  worked for Scotts Duride Ltd as a piece working upholsterer for many years until he was made redundant  in the 70s. He is still with us fortunately and often reminisces about his time there which was virtually his whole working life, with a gap for National Service.