Is Sheffield seen as "arty farty"?

It's such a shame that one of the first things some poeple see when entering Sheffield, is the eye sore that is Park Hill.

Strange ... I said that on post #36! No comments so far. Theoretically, 'arty farty' people should appreciate what's going on ... what with all the Le Corbusier stuff, but have remained strangely silent! :huh:

Tell me more ... I'm obviously a Philistine! Seems strange that I should have to ask in this 'city of culture' ... where are these other galleries? List them and I'll visit them!

It also seem strange that there are 'temporary' exhibition spaces. Aren't there enough people to create a permanent exhibition space?

I often visit the sculpture park just up the road from Sheffield and Chatsworth House who have fantastic exhibitions from world renowned artists. Hardly in Sheffield though is it?

I think the old egg box of a monstrosity of the old Town Hall buildings had a Giacometti outside the front entrance that was removed due to vandalism.

As I've said ... please inform me of where to see more 'culture' in this great city of ours ... I'm all ears!

I am all ears listening to you arty,s mob .But the fact is that most citizens of this city don't give a toss about art except perhaps for our own Joe Scarborough or Pete Mckee? .To most of our citizens the multi multi millionaires who compete with each other at Sotheby's Auctions so as they can be judged by the latest masterpiece that is to be hung on there wall are a disgrace to normal society.

As far as art in portrait is concerned can any one explain to me what is inspiring about the Worlds most famous painting The Mona Lisa ,to me it is just a ordinary picture of a very ordinary lass.

Then we get the latest waste of public money i.e. the new 35 million pound art gallery just up the M1 at Wakefield !I ask you 35 million quid so as a minority of arty,s can look at some bits of stone in which some one who has nothing better to do but cut holes in it [,our local building workers could do the job in a couple of days ].

This waste of money is happening at the same time as our local Hospices are having to beg for funds so as they can keep open.

The above examples of the Art World are obscene to say the least.

Because of the hugh number of students and most students belonging to the "art" crowd do people from other cities view us as an arty farty lot? There just seems to be a lot of journo types and bohemian music types about.
I wouldn't think Sheffield is arty farty because of students, I think Sheffield is arty farty because Council's installed rocket bins, flower pot fountains and other street furniture that should be locked up at the Guggenheim.

I am all ears listening to you arty,s mob .But the fact is that most citizens of this city don't give a toss about art except perhaps for our own Joe Scarborough or Pete Mckee? .To most of our citizens the multi multi millionaires who compete with each other at Sotheby's Auctions so as they can be judged by the latest masterpiece that is to be hung on there wall are a disgrace to normal society.

As far as art in portrait is concerned can any one explain to me what is inspiring about the Worlds most famous painting The Mona Lisa ,to me it is just a ordinary picture of a very ordinary lass.

Then we get the latest waste of public money i.e. the new 35 million pound art gallery just up the M1 at Wakefield !I ask you 35 million quid so as a minority of arty,s can look at some bits of stone in which some one who has nothing better to do but cut holes in it [,our local building workers could do the job in a couple of days ].

This waste of money is happening at the same time as our local Hospices are having to beg for funds so as they can keep open.

The above examples of the Art World are obscene to say the least.

Thank you! ... You sum up my point so succinctly! Joe Scarbourough and Peter McKee!? It goes to show that the average person has no appreciation of art whatsoever! Let's just destroy all art museums and build more hospitals in their place!

More hospitals over here please! ... Oooh yes! Can I have some over here too!

Oooh, a third word country over there that kills their children needs more hospitals too. Let's destroy our countrys heritage to help them out!

As you say ... art is obscene!

Strange that so many artists and art foundations give so much to 'charity' ...

Thank you! ... You sum up my point so succinctly! Joe Scarbourough and Peter McKee!? It goes to show that the average person has no appreciation of art whatsoever! Let's just destroy all art museums and build more hospitals in their place!

More hospitals over here please! ... Oooh yes! Can I have some over here too!

Oooh, a third word country over there that kills their children needs more hospitals too. Let's destroy our countrys heritage to help them out!

As you say ... art is obscene!

Strange that so many artists and art foundations give so much to 'charity' ...

Well i am pleased i have cleared things up for you but just a little question which artists and art foundations give to charity also may i ask exactly what is the good of a piece of stone with a hole in it on a plinth in a concrete bunker in Wakefield that just happened to cost 35 million bloody quid!

exactly what is the good of a piece of stone with a hole in it on a plinth in a concrete bunker in Wakefield

It's art; it doesn't need to serve any "good". You can argue it isn't worth any money, but you can't demand it serves a purpose in life.

It's art; it doesn't need to serve any "good". You can argue it isn't worth any money, but you can't demand it serves a purpose in life.

Sorry buddy i must be thick! but if art doesn't serve any good, and its worth nowt[although intellectuals? on the telly tell us that some of these bits of stone with holes in them are worth millions] then just what purpose does it serve.

Well i am pleased i have cleared things up for you but just a little question which artists and art foundations give to charity also may i ask exactly what is the good of a piece of stone with a hole in it on a plinth in a concrete bunker in Wakefield that just happened to cost 35 million bloody quid!

The list of artists who give money to charity is endless! I can't give links as I don't know how to ... just Google! (think Tracey Emin, Damien Hirst, Hockney ...etc)

If you think the Mona Lisa's crap, you'll think worse of the above, but bear in mind that the proceeds to charity from any of the above would make a mockery of any money raised in jumble sales, WI meetings etc.

To be honest, I don't know about the piece of stone with a hole in it so can't comment unless someone gives me a link. The thing is, someone paid for it so that's what it's worth! :)