Homeopathy? What?

Nobody actually believes this... Do they?

You'd be surprised. People pay money to lay under flashing multicoloured lights or in rooms full of crystals because they believe it heals them.

Boots the chemists sell millions ofd £s worth of this crap every year and then ship the money offshore to avoid UK tax, I was talking to an 'alternative practitioner' at a wedding last year - he does homeopathy, reiki massage, reflexology etc and I put it too him that every blind test shows no effect and there is a real chance of people not seeking medical help in the early stages of serious illness - he maintained that his magic will prevent illness deveoping and added that the benefits of his mumbo jumbo 'are not measurable by western science' so there you go - we're all wrong after all.

Nobody actually believes this... Do they?

Many seem to. There's probably a psychological benefit to some of the "treatments".

Similarly, look at the multi-billion pound industry which is religion. That's not built on anything tangible either.

You may not believe in it, but the NHS spends £3 million to £4 million of our money on it every year.

How much does homeopathy cost the NHS each year?

Exact figures for the cost of homeopathy are not collected. However, there are currently four homeopathic hospitals in England, and in the region of 25,000 homeopathic items are prescribed each year. Total costs are thought to be in the region of 3-4 million a year.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/July07/Pages/nhs-homeopathy.aspx

Boots the chemists sell millions ofd £s worth of this crap every year and then ship the money offshore to avoid UK tax, I was talking to an 'alternative practitioner' at a wedding last year - he does homeopathy, reiki massage, reflexology etc and I put it too him that every blind test shows no effect and there is a real chance of people not seeking medical help in the early stages of serious illness - he maintained that his magic will prevent illness deveoping and added that the benefits of his mumbo jumbo 'are not measurable by western science' so there you go - we're all wrong after all.

The benefits can't be measured because there aren't any*, a bit like the active ingredients of homoeopathic remedies :roll:

* outside the placebo effect that is.

jb

The benefits can't be measured because there aren't any*, a bit like the active ingredients of homoeopathic remedies :roll:

* outside the placebo effect that is.

jb

try telling that to the 'healer' I met at the wedding - he reckoned he can halt HIV, which is A) terrifying and B) should be a criminal offence - HIV doesn't have a placebo friendly component so far as I understand it.

It could be worse, he could be an HIV denier.

jb

I am always very careful to "pay" my homeopath using the memory of money. It can be very dangerous to give them any actual money, even a penny, because it is like giving them the GDP of the entire world which could be very destabilising.

Also, I was pleased to read that there is less money going into homeopathy. Less homeopaths will inevitably make homeopathy more effective.

I am always very careful to "pay" my homeopath using the memory of money. It can be very dangerous to give them any actual money, even a penny, because it is like giving them the GDP of the entire world which could be very destabilising.

Also, I was pleased to read that there is less money going into homeopathy. Less homeopaths will inevitably make homeopathy more effective.

very good! presumably the 'memory' of having visited one is more powerful than actually going again

Yup, I rub my money on a piece of paper then give them the piece of paper, which retains the memory of the money.

On a related note, I have suddenly become extremely rich :D

is the piece of paper the size of the atlantic ocean - you must be wary of overdose!

Yup, I rub my money on a piece of paper then give them the piece of paper, which retains the memory of the money.

On a related note, I have suddenly become extremely rich :D

I love the idea of Homoeopathic money. :hihi: