Any teaching assistants out there?

Hi,

Are there any teaching assistants who are registered with agencies in either South Yorkshire, or North Derbyshire and work on a supply basis. If so do you get regular work from them, do you think its better than regular hours, if so why etc.. I am interested in your experiences as I am considering ending my fixed hours and working on a supply basis (family matters need me to be a little more flexible at the moment). Your thoughts and any useful information will be greatly received.

Many thanks

I used to work for capita, and got regular work in either schools or nurseries, apart from in the school holidays, when it would be dead!

I enjoyed it and the money was good, and i could work the days and hours i wanted, but I struggled without an income in the summer holidays when the schools are off for 6-7 weeks. Luckily I got a full time job in a school anyway.

It's a risky move. Most schools have a nice number of in-house TAs, PSAs and LSAs now (mostly due to the fact they never want to pay a supply teacher to have to come in) so getting supply work will get more and more difficult I think

i've just come off supply i'm nannying now, anyway i got plenty of work but i was willing to work with children from babies to ks4, special schools etc,i'll go almost anywhere and i'm qualified to level 4 in nursery and have HLTA, money is ok in comparison to contract but still low, my advice is to register with as many agencies as you can, be aware you will have to pay for your own CRB even if you have a current one, if you register with ITN Mark they allow other agencies to verify CRB through them so you dont have to pay for one with each separate agency.

I used to work for capita, and got regular work in either schools or nurseries, apart from in the school holidays, when it would be dead!

I enjoyed it and the money was good, and i could work the days and hours i wanted, but I struggled without an income in the summer holidays when the schools are off for 6-7 weeks. Luckily I got a full time job in a school anyway.

thing is TA's employed by the school dont (normally) work in the hols anyway. And they arent paid for them - theyre paid for 39 weeks (although the salary is spread evenly)

thing is TA's employed by the school dont (normally) work in the hols anyway. And they arent paid for them - theyre paid for 39 weeks (although the salary is spread evenly)

I understand that, i was getting some work in the holidays in nurseries and children centre's. If the person purely wants Teaching Assistant work, then they should use an agency like sessa.