Sheffield residents to get drinking water boost

Drinking water supplies in Sheffield are set to receive a further boost as Yorkshire Water begins work on a massive £15million scheme to upgrade its Rivelin Water Treatment Works near Sheffield.

This huge investment, which is due to finish in December 2012, involves major improvements to the site's water treatment process and supports the companies three year £16.7 million revamp of Sheffield's water mains which is due for completion in October.

The project is due to be carried out in two phases with contractors Mott MacDonald Bentley beginning phase one of the work to upgrade the works from the end of February, with this part of the project expected to be complete by April 2012.

John Bond of Yorkshire Water's community engagement team comments: "We're committed to ensuring all of our customers benefit from some of the best drinking water in the world.

"This latest investment is part of a wider scheme of work aimed at improving our water treatment works and maintaining and replacing thousands of kilometres of water pipes, to help ensure that we continue to provide customers with a fantastic service."

"As this work is taking place within the works, there shouldn't be any disruption to local residents, and we'll be communicating with everybody throughout the scheme to update them on progress and the benefits this work will bring, including the Rivelin Valley Conservation Group.

Rivelin water treatment works opened in 1994 and is capable of processing 75 million litres of raw water every day. Yorkshire Water supplies 1.24 billion litres of drinking water each day - equivalent to 49,600 Olympic sized swimming pools full of water and operates more than 40,000 miles of water and sewerage mains – enough pipework to circulate the earth.

Neither Yorkshire Water or Mott MacDonald Bentley employees will need access to residents' properties and residents are being asked to be on their guard against bogus callers while crews are working in the area. Genuine employees carry identity cards which can be verified by calling 0845 1 24 24 24 and won't mind waiting while their credentials are verified.

our interpretation of enough and theirs is different i imagine cherrie.....

My water bill is due anyday now so i will compare it to last years and see, i will have to pay it anyway i don't have no option otherwise they will cut off my water:roll::huh:

all the last weeks publicity is tied in with the recent 4%+ hike planned to water rates i believe, would YW care to comment on why they are pushing prices north like other utlility companies and what their profit margin is this yr, rather than publicising the spending they should be doing anyway on infrastructure.