The arts tower@sheff uni

The Arts Tower is listed so the exterior cannot be changed.

The main works was bringing the building up to date for fire regs and safety regs etc..

The listing meant little could be done to change it. I used to think that from a distance it always looked like a load of windows had been blown out due to the differing blinds etc. Now it's been triple-glazed and a lot of work has gone into making it more of an administrative building. Having so many students in it was getting to be too much of a fire risk. Not sure how that makes the admin folk being moved in feel!

Taking the students out will reduce the numbers significantly and I would think they will reduce the numbers to a level that the new regs allow.

The company I worked for were involved in the refurb scheme and we had to do a fire drill with the building full to find out how many exited from what exit they used and the time it took. Very interesting, especially some of the students who ran past the exist 3 or 4 times before realising it was an actual exit.

They're probably waiting for an extra £6000 a year from each student before they spruce up the outside.:twisted:

They are NOT getting an EXTRA £6k from each student. The fee replaces the funding from HEFCE that has been withdrawn. £6k a student doesn't even cover that! Universities are not the criminals here.

It looks far cleaner and smarter. Not sure wat you were expecting? The style of cladding itself is actually protected I think so they couldn't exactly rip it all down and replace it with red bricks.

I think it looks pretty good personally.

It's always looked like a bit of an eyesore to me, grey and busy looking, all function with no features.

I think it looks great! I was a student from 1994 to 1998, and it's lovely to see how the Uni is developing - the new Union looks great, the library is amazing, the Arts tower is looking great all spruced up (you can tell the windows are all new) -and all of this helps Sheffield to attract more investment, and the best students. All sounds good to me!

They are NOT getting an EXTRA £6k from each student. The fee replaces the funding from HEFCE that has been withdrawn. £6k a student doesn't even cover that! Universities are not the criminals here.

Calm down it was only a bit of fun, Jesus

Is this the building that people like to absail off for charity??

I was never not calm. Just keen more people don't spout rubbish.

I was never not calm. Just keen more people don't spout rubbish.

it was a bit of a laugh, I wasn't professing to be Lord Browne!

im going to the secular society meeting at the arts tower on friday. does anyone know if the paternoster is up and running again yet?.

A bit of fun for you, the backstab of the decade for a generation.