The arts tower@sheff uni

the famous landmark the sheffield university arts tower has been closed for a makeover for ages. does anyone know when it will open again?. i was told it would be around april time but these things often overrun. when i went past the other week it still looked like the builders were in.

the famous landmark the sheffield university arts tower has been closed for a makeover for ages. does anyone know when it will open again?. i was told it would be around april time but these things often overrun. when i went past the other week it still looked like the builders were in.

It is open! Has been since at least last September.

It's a shame that when all the scaffolding came down it still looks terrible on the outside, I was hoping that they'd have at least given it some sort of sprucing up.

They're probably waiting for an extra £6000 a year from each student before they spruce up the outside.:twisted:

thanks for that. i knew some of the floors were open but i thought the majority of it was still closed.

I must admit I'm not sure how much of it is open and whether you can get up to the higher floors but the main entrance, cafe and lecture theatres are all open and running!

Depending how much more asbestos they find, the departments going in there will be going in in June, but there won't be full access until September.

HR and Finance will be the main departments relocating there. It's going to be renamed as the Arts departments have all now gone to the 'Lego Swastika' building on Brook Hill roundabout. There has been some suggestion that it should be called the HR Tower (or HRT :D).

It's a shame that when all the scaffolding came down it still looks terrible on the outside, I was hoping that they'd have at least given it some sort of sprucing up.

It looks far cleaner and smarter. Not sure wat you were expecting? The style of cladding itself is actually protected I think so they couldn't exactly rip it all down and replace it with red bricks.

I think it looks pretty good personally.

Depending how much more asbestos they find, the departments going in there will be going in in June, but there won't be full access until September.

HR and Finance will be the main departments relocating there. It's going to be renamed as the Arts departments have all now gone to the 'Lego Swastika' building on Brook Hill roundabout. There has been some suggestion that it should be called the HR Tower (or HRT :D).

Is that why had to do loads of work on it then the asbestos? Do you know what other work they've done on it? I heard there was a new air con system going in but I think it was more rumour than truth!