Pond Street 11.15pm Last Bus

Rooks

Does anyone on here remember when all the last Buses left Pond Street at 11.15pm on the signal of an inspectors whistle ?

I can remember all the buses jostling for position down Pond Hill, near the Queens Head, like the first bend at Silverstone.

Happy Memories, although I did miss the last 92 or 93 most weekends !!!!!!!

I was heading for my last bus and came across a policeman struggling on the ground with a number of men. He called out to me to dial 999, which I duly did from the adjacent phone box.

It didn't take long for police vans to arrive, but most of the men then scattered. I got on my bus, but it didn't set off. The police came on the bus and inspected everyones' knuckles before the bus could go.

Fortunately in those days all the 'blue & creams' were 'backloaders' so you always had a fighting chance even when t' Inspector's clock was a tad fast and you were left with no option but to chase them down the ranks !

The real challenge always came when said whistle went and you were only halfway down the Lyceum steps ! - This left no option but to beat the 41/25/26/83 to the Stop outside the Midland Station - achieved with great satisfaction on many an occasion ! Given failure there was always the late night 95's in 'Comical St.' - but that hill up from Intake terminus represented a different sort of challenge - especially if the Conductor had just woken you up !!:)days

Some evil busdrivers would sit with the engine ticking over, the clutch down and the bus in gear ready for the whistle. When it went they would be off like a shot and leave anybody who was to slow to respond.

I know, I used to be a conductor hanging on for grim death.