Mutual Housing Exchange Questions Megathread

just wondering if anyone has recently gone through a housing exchange and what the housing inspector looks for and how the experience went in general? thanks

i know they make sure the property is safe as far as gas is concerned and that there is no damage that can put anyone in danger. all doors must be on ect, its just basic stuff really

Should be quite a simple process. The inspection will consist of checking the major parts of the property e.g. kitchen & bathroom fixtures, doors, walls, windows etc. Wont be looking at furniture etc as this stuff you should be taking with you. You will also have time to put it right before you go so should be nothing to worry about.

how long does it talk for a council exchange to go through ?

From start to finish (depending on any repairs to be done, rent arrears to be paid etc) it takes about 6 weeks. That's roughly how long mine took. :)

Should be quite a simple process. The inspection will consist of checking the major parts of the property e.g. kitchen & bathroom fixtures, doors, walls, windows etc. Wont be looking at furniture etc as this stuff you should be taking with you. You will also have time to put it right before you go so should be nothing to worry about.

Same as above, but you also have to make sure the garden is neat and tidy. I had to cut the grass and cut all the hedges right back, also had to repaint the kitchen door where my dog had scratched it, and replace light fittings back to the originals :). All went well, so don't worry:thumbsup:

Hi.Does anybody know if (when planning a mutual exchange) you have to meet any criteria? Eg can 1 person,in a 2 bed house/flat exchange into a 3 bed house?

you have to be eligible for the size of the property you want to move into - i.e. a single person cannot move into a 3 bed house. also be aware that from April 2013 if you have a spare bedroom, under pension age, and you are on housing benefit you will lose some of your benefit 14% for 1 room and 20% for 2 rooms

hi i live in private rented property can i exchange with someone who lives in council property or any other private rented property .my landylady is ok with this as long as they can afford the rent .

I think to move into a council property via exchange, you need to already be a council tenant. You can try it with private rented though, provided their landlord has the same attitude to it as yours does.

you can exchange council to housing association and vice versa