Good running place in Sheffield?

V.Rossi

as the crow flies , crosspool to ladybower is about 7.8 miles...?

and I cannot think there is a straight path - even if there is the hills would be pretty nasty.

I live in Crosspool and would like to know exactly from where you start? wher is this narrow path?

thks

Hi, I'm looking for a decent place to go running in Sheffield, but needs to fit some important requirements:

It needs to be somewhere a car can be parked for free.

It needs to be reasonably flat

Ideally about 3 mile circuit

Close to either city or Walkley

Somewhere out of the way where I'm not going to bump into chav united or the sheffield soljaz as they like to call themselves :loopy::hihi:

I've done damflask today which was a nice run but want something else similar as when I do the same track over and over I get bored of it, so looking for another one, maybe two tracks to alternate with.

Thanks....:thumbsup:

Ewden stocksbridge/deepcar. 2.8 mile lap. One side on road one side through woods all flat. perfect

Also Bingham Park - from entrance to Forge Dam - slight incline on the way out (so slightly downhill on way home!) Prob about 3.5 miles there & back. Pretty, paths and lots of nature rather than traffic. Enjoy!

Excellent choice. I usually take in this route starting at the gates of Endclffe park through Bingham Park, Forge Damn and up to Ringinlow and return to Endcliffe Park.

If you do not want to take in the hilly bits, skip Forge Dam to Ringinlow as this is all uphill.

Excellent choice. I usually take in this route starting at the gates of Endclffe park through Bingham Park, Forge Damn and up to Ringinlow and return to Endcliffe Park.

If you do not want to take in the hilly bits, skip Forge Dam to Ringinlow as this is all uphill.

Definitely a good choice Pigtails, I completely forgot about them woods, I once walked from there to Burbage bridge and back and have to agree, it is a really nice track, think I'd have to cut out the forge dam - Burbage section for the first few weeks though :thumbsup:

rivelins a great run in the summer but no good in the dark. hillsborough park is ok but you will get abuse from teenagers! ive never understood that, i can happily walk the dog anywhere i like with no comments, soon as i start running its a free for all (and not always just from kids either). and no, i dont look that bad!

I find this too. I am small and therefore people think they can have a pop, although lord knows why they would want to. When running round Parson Cross 3 girls decided they would have a pop and one shoved one of the others straight into me as I was running past. They got a bit of a shock when I shoved her straight back and told them to 'go away'. It's really not on at all.

I run laps around the lake in Crookes Valley Park. Each lap is 1/3 of a mile, so it's easy to work out how far you've run. It's completely flat, plus there are benches to sit on for a rest afterwards.

I'd find that a little to tempting :hihi:

When I first started running it was when I was in the army 13 yrs ago, and when I wanted to die, I simply wasn't allowed, however now I am so if there's something along the way saying 'It's ok ***** you can die here if you want to, nobody minds' then I would happily take up the invitation, where as if there was nowhere until I got back to where I started I can stay in the frame of mind that I need to keep going.

The Abbeydale Grange school playing fields are pretty extensive and if you stick to the perimeter is probably over a half mile so you may have to do a few laps. The plus point is that it's quiet and there's a bench in the top corner to slump on when needed. If you also include the loop round the field where the old tennis courts are near Holt House infant school then the circuit seems a lot bigger.

I'd find that a little to tempting :hihi:

I just promise myself that I can have a nice rest and a drink afterwards, it's easy to ignore the benches when running, especially when doing laps which make it easy to keep going as you get a sense of progress by counting them.

I built up my level of fitness by starting only with one or two laps, then increasing them weekly. I'm now up to 9 (3 miles), and my fitness is now such that I can easily do more, but I don't really have the time to increase it. I run there and back too, so the total run is in excess of 4 miles.

I've also lost two stone as a very nice side effect. :D