Is NHS reform for the benefit of fat cats?

Going back to the '80's when I worked in the NHS the Tories published the Griffiths Report (he was a Sainsburys boss).

It was all about bringing in more managers / accountants.

http://www.bristol-inquiry.org.uk/final_report/report/sec1_chap_4_7.htm

That's when I left the NHS.

and thats why the nhs is in the mess its in now, more penpushers than doctors and nurses

Did anyone watch 'This Week'? It's the programme on Thursday after Question Time.

Interestingly Michael Portillo (a Tory I have some time for) suggested that the Tories didn't mention the reforms before the election simply because they know the electorate did not trust them regarding the NHS.

i dont trust the tories over anything, never mind the nhs

Did anyone watch 'This Week'? It's the programme on Thursday after Question Time.

Interestingly Michael Portillo (a Tory I have some time for) suggested that the Tories didn't mention the reforms before the election simply because they know the electorate did not trust them regarding the NHS.

saw that , Portillo basically came out with the entire Tory policy in a nutshell when admitting the NHS had been a labour vote winner for years and what they are doing now will change the NHS to such an extent that it wont be able to go back to how it is. He even admitted it was very risky.

The tories are seizing the moment to carry out what they have been trying to do since the NHS became popular and loved by mainly labour voters who cant/dont go private.

and thats why the nhs is in the mess its in now, more penpushers than doctors and nurses

Whatever state the NHS is in now, it is in a much better shape than it was 15 years ago. Waiting times and success rates for treatment have improved accross the board since then.

No doubt there could be more efficient ways of doing things, but the pretence that the extra money spent has had no impact is just the lies and propaganda put out to fool the simple minded that we can somehow have a better health service by spending less on it and handing it over to people whose chief concern is profit, as opposed to patient's welfare.

Whatever state the NHS is in now, it is in a much better shape than it was 15 years ago. Waiting times and success rates for treatment have improved accross the board since then.

No doubt there could be more efficient ways of doing things, but the pretence that the extra money spent has had no impact is just the lies and propaganda put out to fool the simple minded that we can somehow have a better health service by spending less on it and handing it over to people whose chief concern is profit, as opposed to patient's welfare.

well said. 10 yrs ago i waited 13months for a minor knee op. about 3 yrs ago i had another, total waiting time 7 weeks start to finish

Just to point out that when labour introduced the 18 week patient pathway - every trust spent vast amounts on trying to achieve the various targets.....which included bringing in extra pen pushes. Could this money have been spent on a long term approach rather than short term "headline" gains? - which labour seemed to crave.

Just to point out that when labour introduced the 18 week patient pathway - every trust spent vast amounts on trying to achieve the various targets.....which included bringing in extra pen pushes. Could this money have been spent on a long term approach rather than short term "headline" gains? - which labour seemed to crave.

Yes, it probably could have been spent better. However, that is no reason to make excuses for the present government implementing a policy which which will be financially beneficial to a few at the cost of poorer health care for millions.

You're right the NHS is now being funded as it should be, but I feel that reform is still needed so we meet our European neighbours standards with health care.

The latest reforms are designed to facilitate the privatisation of the most profitable services leaving the NHS to continue providing the 'loss making' services in-house.

Come audit day some hospitals will be found to be trading at a loss and will therefore be closed.

LibLabCon Banksters funnelling our money into private corporations (that the politicos will obtain directorships in when they leave office) while leaving us with diminished services.