Having No Money In 2011.

why do people have this ingrained idea that taking a job in a supermarket destines you to a life of poverty and struggle?

those thousands of jobs in retail are based on the companies opening new stores and expanding existing ones. thats hundreds of managers positions that will become available that will mostly be filled by inhouse training and promotions. they pay quite a decent wage and are arguably some of the most secure jobs in these times (can anyone see tesco or sainsburies going bust anytime soon?).

my personal experience has been that i worked for tesco as a part time student for two years whilst i was at uni. as soon as i graduated i was put forward for a management training programme, just over a year later i was appointed as a manager and i have been awarded 4 payrises (not including the annual rise in april that everyone gets) in the last 3 years, the last one was a four figure rise to my yearly salary. how many people employed in none retail jobs can claim that?

i worked hard for that and now consider that i have a very secure job, a great pension, extra benefits in shares awarded for free (£5,000 worth so far), life insurance for free and life is great. im not struggling at all. in fact things have never been easier.

this winter i got into the whole 'need to save money cos things are getting bad' mentality and eventually thought stuff it, im better off now than i ever have been, so i turned the heating back on. i can afford to put about £300 a month away as savings each month so i can afford a hefty electric bill this winter if i need to.

the hours and environment might not be perfect for everyone but if people are willing to put the stereotypes aside, show capability and work hard they can work their way up to a wage of £40,000 pa within a few years. less than a few years if they have relevant skills and interview well enough for a fast track training programme to management.

my friend who worked at the same tesco as me when i was at uni also got offered a managment training scheme, but she refused as she didnt want to spend her life in tesco. she went to the council as a professional in a posh suit and last week got made redundant. she's now desperatley looking for another job before she has to leave her home as the rent is unaffordable.

maybe sometimes the likes of sainsburies and tesco aren't that bad? i've also heard that john lewis are a good company to work for?

I think you make some valid points, most of which I'd agree with. Don't forget however that for every 1000 jobs a supermarket creates, they will put hundreds of small, local shops out of business. Small shops that will have employed far more than 1000 people.

When supermarkets boast about job creation, in reality the very opposite occurs.

I think you make some valid points, most of which I'd agree with. Don't forget however that for every 1000 jobs a supermarket creates, they will put hundreds of small, local shops out of business. Small shops that will have employed far more than 1000 people.

When supermarkets boast about job creation, in reality the very opposite occurs.

i dont particulary want to get into any discussion about job creation being offset by corresponding job losses sa i dont know anything of the actual facts and figures involved.

but i do hold the view that (in a parallel universe) if there was no tesco and i was managing a small independant grocers instead i wouldnt be anywhere near as well off as i am now, work and life would be harder and less secure.

those were the main reasons i chose to progress with tesco - secure, good chance of lots of payrises and they sort out all the hassle of organising a pension, paying tax etc etc. all i have to do is turn up for work, get on with it and get paid every month.

it just annoys me when i see and hear people sticking their noses up when i tell them i work for tesco, and i stand there thinking 'hold on, financially im better off than you in your suit and you're sneering at me?' i actually got abuse from a customer once as we were chatting at the checkout about holidays and i told her i was off to the caribbean for two weeks. apparently she could only afford to go to moscow. wtf???? :huh:

Do the unemployed have such an easy Life?

Upon what do you base this opinion? Have you been reading too many Daily Mail articles?

As for abolishing the minimum wage, this would mean that all salaries would start to fall and few would be able to afford the UK cost of living.

There are already more than enough people on the breadline, both the unemployed and the low waged.

the house prices and all things will come down in price accordingly doesnt take that much working out does it?

I'm not looking forward to next year financially. Will be taking my car off road at the end of the month because I can't afford the tax and MOT, insurance was already paid for, but will get a bit of money back.

i get the voilin out in a minute, if you brought wisely like a fiesta/clio diesel tax will be £30 or free, Mot is only £30 with topthread, you get 55mpg easy, end of day you didnt think and brought something you cant afford no good blaming this and that now

we can either moan about it or work smarter in 2011 and get on with things. i know what im doing.

In return for which he's promising to make it much easier for employers to sack people. :suspect:

Sounds a bit like a woman who was once in charge of the same party.

I have Sky but I'm not going to cancel it unless I really have to. If I can't afford to go out, I want to at least have something to watch on TV.

So why keep Sky?:hihi:

Sounds a bit like a woman who was once in charge of the same party.

So why keep Sky?:hihi:

yeah seen better acting with school play,

the house prices and all things will come down in price accordingly doesnt take that much working out does it?

You think?

You seem to have a very simplistic view of the world.

I see no indication of the law of supply and demand entering your equation, and at the moment we supply very few things ourselves leaving us at the mercy of foreign imports.

You think?

You seem to have a very simplistic view of the world.

I see no indication of the law of supply and demand entering your equation, and at the moment we supply very few things ourselves leaving us at the mercy of foreign imports.

The UK export markets quite bouyant at the the mo because the pound is so weak.

In the next 12 months we will see different kinds of people.

1) people at the bottom of the wage scale, drowning

2) People who have enjoyed secure incomes for many years falling prey to circumstances beyond their control

3) people with secure jobs, decent wages saying "well you know we are all in this together - or theres loads of jobs out there"

I am self employed, so up to a point can control my destiny. If you are employed, your destiny is controlled by outside factors

You tell that to people who have been looking for work for the past 18 months with no luck. The ones who have gone from well paid offices to nothing at all, who are even willing to clean toilets but not heard so much as an interview. What a load of rubbish!

Yeah yeah!! Excuses excuses!

Yeah yeah!! Excuses excuses!

Unless you are self employed and can control your life, are you 100% certain your life won't be turned upsidedown at any point?

If you are employed by a company, I'd start to say your prayers and hope this economic nightmare passes you by