Ubuntu 10.10 ..

E-lectrican

Deffo, it isn't anywhere near as polished as Windows and its awkwardness is what has kept it mainly in the domain of the "likes messing with PC's" fraternity.

The thing with linux is that you're in control of the OS, rather than the OS being in control of you (things are looking even better on the linux front for boxes equipped with any Athlon XP - and later - processor due to the disclosure of their Super-secret debug capabilities of AMD processors !).

I am using both OS Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7 and according to me, both are good for different purposes. For my office work I use Ubuntu because of it has inbuilt Office and best security purpose. There are many update in this new version and all are great. I like Ubuntu 10.10 version.

i installed Ubuntu onto an xp laptop about a year ago, i had it set to dual boot so i had the option of which OS i booted into.

early in december i realised i hadnt used Xp since probably easter. my laptop runs a lot quicker with Ubuntu. i dont have to worry about anti virus and firewalls, i honestly cant remember the last time i had to restart it after an update, i can drag music onto my ipod a lot easier with rhythmbox than i could with that monster Itunes

Ubuntu will feel awkward to begin with, but its no different to geting into a new car and wondering where the light switches are. after a short while you forget what the old one was like.

It runs even better under linux;).

Better....in what way ? On my XP machine my most commonly used .ods file loads in less than 2 seconds.

I did notice the file is about a quarter of the size it is in .xls format :)

Edited by Greybeard

Better....in what way ? On my XP machine my most commonly used .ods file loads in less than 2 seconds.

I did notice the file is about a quarter of the size it is in .xls format :)

Try opening a large (never opened) file:thumbsup:.

Deffo, it isn't anywhere near as polished as Windows and its awkwardness is what has kept it mainly in the domain of the "likes messing with PC's" fraternity.

What does this even mean?

Installing ubuntu is as easy, if not easier than Windows - just boot up the disc and for most systems it will detect and configure everything for you.

It comes with free Office, Music and Photo applications, not silly trial versions that your average Windows PC comes rammed full of. If you need more software you can get it in a couple of clicks from the built in software centre.

Looks wise its easily as 'pretty' as Windows, although not quite as nice as OSX.

Most usb peripherals will plug and play, printers, cameras, mp3 players - you can even sync your ipod with it.

However, if you switch to linux you will need to understand that in many cases you wont be using the exact same software that you are used to - OpenOffice instead of MS Office, Gimp instead of Photoshop, Songbird instead of itunes etc etc.

None of this has anything to do with 'polish'.

However, if you switch to linux you will need to understand that in many cases you wont be using the exact same software that you are used tos

Depends.

OOo is available for Windoze too (and functions the same)

The GFs son much prefers Gimp than PhotoShop (under windozzzzeeee). So it can't be that difficult to work with

Songbird is good on Win too.

Firefox is almost identical to it's win equivalent (as is Thunderbird).

So a swap from Win to *nix might not be as traumatic as some would make out.