Afternoon Tea in Sheffield

scaryt

We used our voucher here too - and thought it was awful.

Dried up sandwiches which had clearly been prepared hours before (came wrapped in cellophane (nice!) , dry scones with basic jams - if I had paid the £20 per head they were priced at I would have been sorely put out!

Just to let everyone know - it's not £20 per head, it's £20 per couple. I went earlier in the year and thought it was lovely and quite good value - £10 for a glass of champagne, a pot of tea, plenty of sandwiches and scones. I haven't had afternoon tea anywhere else in Sheffield so I can't compare but I would recommend the Leopold.

Gosh Tuckwoods brings back memories as well as stories my mum tells me of going to Tuckwoods when she was a child. :)

Looks like there might be a chance of doing the ritz with my mum and a sheffield one with my other half! Brilliant.

Thanks for all the recommendations, will investigate those options. :D

Just to let everyone know - it's not £20 per head, it's £20 per couple. I went earlier in the year and thought it was lovely and quite good value - £10 for a glass of champagne, a pot of tea, plenty of sandwiches and scones. I haven't had afternoon tea anywhere else in Sheffield so I can't compare but I would recommend the Leopold.

You are right - £20 for two...........and given the other positive recommendations I do seem to have been there on an off day !!! (perhaps the chef wasn't there hence the wrapped in cellophane sandwiches?)

• 2 years later...

Can we update this? I did Leopold and staff were almost totally unresponsive, food middling, tea stewed and cold, and the table - in what must've been the main drag on a less busy day - wobbled. I really want to take someone for a Very Nice Afternoon Tea, in or near Sheffield.. Too much to ask for???

Can we update this? I did Leopold and staff were almost totally unresponsive, food middling, tea stewed and cold, and the table - in what must've been the main drag on a less busy day - wobbled. I really want to take someone for a Very Nice Afternoon Tea, in or near Sheffield.. Too much to ask for???

A friend of mine treated her partner to afternoon tea here a couple of weeks before Christmas. They were told to arrive after 3.30pm, as there was a large booking until then. When they arrived at 3.45pm the large party in the lounge - obviously a business do, with people dressed up & drinking a good deal was still in full swing and very loud.

When my friends asked when they could have their tea, they were shown to a table & told that the party had a room booked & would be moving to it. Only it never happened. The staff made no attempt to move people on either & the situation just got worse, with screaming, shouting & increasingly drunken behaviour. A further complaint to the staff was met with a shrug. At 4.30pm, with the racket still going on & no move to the party room, my friends left.

Sounds like the sort of place I'll never go to, then.

We had afternoon tea on Christmas Eve before the matinee at the Crucible, at Andrews Tea Rooms on Chapel Walk. Really nice and fresh and not expensive. staff lovely and friendly despite us being a party of nine at a busy time. Would def go again. And we were able to book in advance