My Chucks have arrived!

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know, I got my coop, my feeders, bedding and everything else set up, and that my chucks have arrived today. They were not very "happy hens".

They are in a bit of a sorry state, but hopefully will come through ok now, once they feather up and start to take on some weight. We ended up with 6, so now need to enlarge the coop and run, just to give more space and comfort.

I will take piccies over the next few days and post on here, as some of you have requested, then give you an update later down the line.

Thank you to everyone for all the info, advice and recommendations for stockists.

Frol

Great to hear! Has anyone warned you that they are addictive? Also, you will find yourself marching down the garden with choice titbits and shouting "Booook, bok, bok, bok" and preaching the virtues chickens in the garden to all that stand still long enough to hear you?

Pmsl, yes. Only intended getting 4 but managed to come away with 6, so the increasing has already started, lol.

No more though until we have increased the coop and run. I want my girls to be comfy and live in luxury now, lol. They've had a hard enough life already.

We decided on three, looked at their coop and decided it was not big enough, so we got a shed and built a compound. Then we decided that another two wouldn't hurt. One of those two went broody, so we gave her 3 babies to play with. Two died, so when the baby got old enough to be on her own, we got two more and fell in love with an adult so in the space of a year, three have become 9! The house is full of sacks of feed and books on hens and I cannot wait for the next Poultry magazine.

You have embarked on the downward spiral but you are going to enjoy it!

Lovely, where did you get them from? I can't wait to get some myself, maybe when I've got more money in the new year. Let us know how it goes and take photos!

Are your girls ex-batts?

Edited by parcher

Hi Parcher, well, they are rescues from the "happy hen" place, if you catch my "quad bike advert" drift.

Purple-Sarah, A friend of mine rescued over 200, and has managed to get them all homed, I think. But she does this on a regular basis, so is always looking out for new homes for more girlies in the future.

Here are some pics of our girls and their new home. It is on a solid floor at the mo, but when the weather turns nicer, they will be going on to grass, so that they can scratch around.

The chuck house is 5 and 1/2 foot wide by 3 and 1/2 foot deep, and the run is 4 foot wide by 6 foot long.

2010-12-23095447.jpg

2010-12-23095457.jpg

2010-12-23095508.jpg

2010-12-23095512.jpg

The girls are looking a lot better than what they did when they first arrived in such a short time. No eggs yet, but not expecting any in this weather.

Anyone know of anywhere that sells boredom busters in bulk? (bit like see treats for budgies but bigger). They going through lettuces and bags of stir-fry like there's no tomorrow, lol.

Edited by Frolikalki

try the petshop near wybon the one with the metal shutters

sorry i carnt remember what its called

i will find out next time i go for the dogs tripe

I string up apples at neck stretch height - it keeps them occupied for a while. I do the same with lettuces (I am always lurking at the cripples corner!).

I do lettuces already but hadn't thought of apples. Thanks for that Parcher, will go put a couple up now.

They've had alsorts over the last few days, everything but the meat from the christmas dinner, and they seem to love stuffing.

Lol bless em! Hope they have a long and very happy life! Chucks are brill especially rescued ones x x x

hi ive seen you have a tumble dryer for sale can you please send me details of how to contact you thanks