Graduate care worker £21000

Will only pay back £7 a month under new student fees policy.

Anyhow, with unemployment, (graduate, youth and over 50s), being so high, I was wondering where the £21k graduate careworker jobs are.

The government keeps banging on about them. I'm sure British people could do this job.

You'd have to work 60hrs a week in a care setting for that much!

I was wondering where the £21k graduate careworker jobs are

Entry level positions in nursing, occupational therapy and allied health professions currently pay £21,176 in the NHS. All these disciplines will require a degree shortly.

The term 'careworker' is rather generic and misleading though. I certainly don't know of any care workers who earn £21k!

Entry level positions in nursing, occupational therapy and allied health professions currently pay £21,176 in the NHS. All these disciplines will require a degree shortly.

The term 'careworker' is rather generic and misleading though. I certainly don't know of any care workers who earn £21k!

I want to ask why these jobs should require University degrees in the first place?

Why not in house/on the job training as it used to be.

From what I've heard from older, more experienced nurses, this was a better system which produced better nurses. Judging from the number of complaints in the NHS it doesn't seem to have improved it.

I want to ask why these jobs should require University degrees in the first place?

When O levels proved you were in the top 25% of school leavers, all they required was O levels. Nowadays, even a University degree only puts you in the top 50% of school leavers.

When O levels proved you were in the top 25% of school leavers, all they required was O levels. Nowadays, even a University degree only puts you in the top 50% of school leavers.

So 50% of school leavers are expected to go massively into debt for our benefit, and do nursing degrees which apparently are not fit for purpose.

Seems to be the logic of the madhouse to me.

Again what is wrong with setting your own entry level requirements for these carreers via tests, interviews, essays etc.

With university fees now being what they are, surely we will have to go back to this sort of training to make such carreers within the reach of working class people.

Edited by Anna B
add

So 50% of school leavers are expected to go massively into debt for our benefit, and do nursing degrees which apparently are not fit for purpose.

I don't know that they're all expected to go nursing; I was referring to the more general lunacy of trying to put 50% of all school leavers into the top 5% of academic achievement. It was insane when it started, and it still is.

As for university fees being what they are - or more significantly, what they're going to be - anyone who is working class doesn't have to pay them by definition, unless and until they secure a better and more highly-paid job. They cannot be a deterrent.

Edited by HeadingNorth

Will only pay back £7 a month under new student fees policy.

Anyhow, with unemployment, (graduate, youth and over 50s), being so high, I was wondering where the £21k graduate careworker jobs are.

The government keeps banging on about them. I'm sure British people could do this job.

Of course British people can do caring jobs. There are plenty of British nurses, social workers, housing support workers for example. And, as Belinkabelle says £21k is around what people can expect at a basic level in these sorts of caring jobs.

'The NHS is currently first required to fill vacancies from from the resident labour market (including a national of a country in the EEA) before looking to overseas candidates.' http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore_oversea.shtml