Am i just unemployable??

I'd say training would be a better idea than volunteering. There are quite a few £200 3 day courses that'll give you a certificate & make you more employable.

What did you work as before you had your child? It should be easier to find work in an area you've had experience in.

Thats the problem I don't just have a spare £200 to drop on a course.

My main jobs are Assistant manager in a Bar, and data inputting (it wasnt actually as straight forward as that) I use to input orders, take telephone calls arrange licenses for children to work on paper rounds, contact suppliers and retailers, call customers, cold calling for sales and loads more as I actually worked over 3 departments

we dont get working tax credits as we dont both work. We only get child tax credit. working tax credit is if both parents are working

Have you looked into Tax Credits? If your husband works over 30 hours a week you should be eligible for those. If your husband works less than 24 hours a week then you should be eligible for income based JSA.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/questionnaires.htm

[edited] I should read more ... £380 a week isn't a bad take home income, you're better off than if you both claimed JSA. Add up all the free stuff & you'll see you're still better off because your husband works. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get working tax credits if he didn't work.

Well, good luck, but its going to be a lot of hard & possibly expensive study to become a midwife. I'm not sure what the income limits are for university fees & grants, you should check that out too.

If you do all the sums & it would work out that you were better off on benefits than with your husband working, you should seriously consider it. I'm not sure on all the benefit rules for families with children, but it's possible you'd be better off on benefits if you have 4 kids. It isn't sponging if you're both using the time & benefits to train for something better so that you can both get into better jobs in future.

I'm sorry if this sounds nasty, but my children come first and cleaning dog muck or scrubbing street walls for FREE will not pay for my children to eat, and your telling me people pay full rent, care for 4 children, full council tax, full water metered, on £380 a week?

Where did anyone mention cleaning dog much or scrubbing walls? In answer to your question re. how would you fit in the volunteering when you get a full time job - you wouldn't. It is just to fill time and gain experience until you gain employment.

To be honest you seem to have a pretty bad attitude considering people are giving you helpful advice which you are choosing to ignore just because you disagree with it.

Warrior alot of people have given me advice that i am undertaking like the training part. and anywebsite we have done the sums and would be better off but i personally would rather work and be worse off but know ive worked for what we have. but thank you anyway

we dont get working tax credits as we dont both work. We only get child tax credit. working tax credit is if both parents are working

id give them a call and check that, im the only one that works in our home and i get both working and child tax credits.

Sheffield Uni doesn't do midwifery at all now, the entire department transferred to Hallam several years ago.

http://taxcredits.hmrc.gov.uk/Qualify/WhatAreTaxCredits.aspx

"Couples, if both of you are working 16 hours or more a week, must choose which one of you will receive it. You cannot receive Working Tax Credit if you are not working. "

I thought there was a buidling with sheffield uni but as you say its all changed now. and ive already checked about tax credit we must both be working

My reading of it is that one of you must be working and you must claim as a couple

Hi, i have sat and read through all this and have a little bit of advice.... :) you should try looking into the tax credits again as my partner works and i DONT and he still gets tax credits, he earns more than your partner so you would deffo be able to get it! Im 100% sure! :) And with regards to the midwifery... Since i was a child i wanted to be a nurse, and i never thought it would happen, but when i had just turned 23 i had my 1 year old and decided to go do it! (but i wanted to be a midwife) when i decided this, so i rang norton college up to do the science access course, got a place, did this on £30 a week plus travel costs, and then passed it, but i will warn you, we were told that getting into midwifery was near impossible as there was so much demand to do this course! So i applied for nursing instead, Lucky for me that i did this as i passed the course i was on, applied for nursing and got accepted! :) I start on Jan 24th as a student nurse and cant wait as i have worked for it! But i must warn you, in college last year there were 6 classes of us in college with 35+ in each, around 40 applied for midwifery and only 1 got accepted! So what im saying is, it may take a few years to get offered a spot so be warned! :/ But if you ring norton college they should help, interviews are in after xmas xx

I thought there was a buidling with sheffield uni but as you say its all changed now. and ive already checked about tax credit we must both be working

i think they may be kidding you because i claim it and it says here

Who can get Working Tax Credit

You can get Working Tax Credit if you or your partner are working enough hours a week and your income is low enough. You don't need to have children to qualify. It doesn't matter whether you are working for someone- else or self-employed.

taken from here

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/life/benefits/benefits_and_tax_credits_for_people_in_work.htm#working_tax_credit

also these taken from the goverment website

What hours do you need to work to get Working Tax Credit?

You don't have children

If you have children, you need to be aged 16 or over and do paid work of at least 16 hours a week to qualify.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/TaxCreditsandChildBenefit/TaxCredits/Gettingstarted/whoqualifies/WorkingTaxCreditthebasics/DG_172728

Thats the problem I don't just have a spare £200 to drop on a course.

How are you planning on affording a Midwifery degree then?