NHS-cant be bothered attitude?

my nan has recently been in hospital and they are sending here home today,thats great but she's not fully better. when i went to see here she was cold so i got her a blanket, but after that i thought to myself why couldnt someone have gotten her a blanket before i got there ? how long was she cold for? and why are they sending here home when she's not that much better than when she went in please get involved tell me your view's!:confused::huh:

Lets get this straight, your complaining because you nurses didn't read your nan's mind, and you had to fetch a blanket yourself. If that's your biggest complaints of the NHS then I think that it's doing pretty well.

my nan has recently been in hospital and they are sending here home today,thats great but she's not fully better. when i went to see here she was cold so i got her a blanket, but after that i thought to myself why couldnt someone have gotten her a blanket before i got there ? how long was she cold for? and why are they sending here home when she's not that much better than when she went in please get involved tell me your view's!:confused::huh:

perhaps the nurses crystal ball wasnt working and thats why they didnt know your nan needed a blanket.

What was she admitted for, how far does your medical expertise stretch to say that she shouldnt be discharged?

Is there anything else they can do for her in hospital? If not, there's no point keeping her in just for the sake of it if they can use the bed for someone else who needs medical treatment.

Had she asked for a blanket and been refused? Or just not said anything?

David Cameron will shortly announce that the NHS will from now on only cater for people who are related to hemsvillafc, so anyone who isn't related to hemsvillafc will be turfed out of their beds and sent home.

Even as we speak, he is taking on thousands of psychics who will read hemsvillafc's nan's mind so that they instantly know what she wants without her having to bother asking for it.

Hundreds of people in mills throughout the North of England will be employed to make blankets that will be airlifted by helicopter to her the minute one of the psychics sense she wants one.

Will that do you, hemsvillafc?

that was uncalled for. yes, we might all see the OP as unjustified in their complaint, but they are still a person who is worried about their relative. if they werent worried they wouldnt have even noticed about the blanket.

well i agree totally that the nhs is bull**** n as for did she ask for the blanket it makes no difference wether she asked for the blanket or not cus if i was a nurse doing my job properly id be going round every single bed asking if any of these patients need assisting with anything this is my nan thats being mentioned here n when i go to visit her at the hospital the nurses in particular are no help my nan went down to 4 stone in weight n when i was there the nurse asked her how much she had eaten that to me just said it all it was disgusting to think that shed lost 2 stone in 2 weeks n there not monitering what shes eating they must be concerned for her health REALLY! also my mum went to visit her at another time and they left notes out for all to see that this might not just be down to her emphasemia but it cud be down to milignancy (cancer)now in my opinion before any member of the family cud even see anything like that a doctor should be there to discuss whats really going on n yes wev asked to see doctors but never none available to give u 5 minuteds of there time to tell us whats happening with my nan so there u go shes coming out today without one doctor coming to see any of the family til shes baing discharged now that to me is a complete and utter fail of the system we rely on today! and we have no choice in the matter but to be treated with such unimportance i would really love to know what the government are spending there money on these days!!

it sounds as though you are all very stressed but dont take that out on the staff who work there.

if your nan has lost weight it will because she has not been eating, not because they have not been feeding her. they cant force feed people if they dont want to eat. they will have known she has lost 2 stone, or you wouldnt know it yourselves. if you have worries about the food they supply then take your own to help her along.

notes stuck to the board at the end of the bed are for the medical staff to ensure they are providing the correct treatment for the correct patient at the correct time. if it says something on there about other illnesses then it must be relavant to the care they provide. they cant leave those details out just in case one of the relatives might choose to read it.

also the consultants very rarely do sit downs with the patients' relatives, unless she is not capable of making her own decisions etc. any questions about her treatment etc will be discussed directly with your nan.

family gets involved when there is further care provided once at home. you will no doubt get the full lowdown when you see them before they discharge her.

the consultant is the surgeon that does the life saving, your GP is the one who has the time to sit and talk.

lastly, thats just how the NHS works, if you feel its inadequate to what you need then you have the option of going private.

well i agree totally that the nhs is bull****

we have no choice in the matter but to be treated with such unimportance i would really love to know what the government are spending there money on these days!!

Have a look at medical costs in, say, the US. Now look at how much you pay in National Insurance. The NHS looks like a bargain to me.

i dont think it is untrue or unfair because at the end of the day they should be someone asking patient's is everybody o.k does any 1 need anything

Indeed there should be someone doing so; but there's nobody there to do it. Blaming the people who are there because there should be someone else there as well, is rather silly.

i just think the level of care is unaceptable, there should be more attention to detail on what the patient's feel & to make sure they are cared for in the right manor, i dont think you should have to pay to watch there telly's either shouldnt everyone have the right to take their mind off everything that is happening to them and have abit of normality for (FREE?)

Have a look at medical costs in, say, the US. Now look at how much you pay in National Insurance. The NHS looks like a bargain to me.

exactly. i imagine i would have been severely screwed if i had not been born and residing in england. the cost of my treatment has run into tens of thousands and is still rising, i know this as the insurance company of the people who caused the accident have to reimburse the NHS for the full costs.

i expect that in another country like the US i would have gotten the life saving treatment, but as for the equipment i was supplied with and the ongoing support for my recovery i doubt it would have been something i could afford.

the cost of a private physio is too high especially when you cannot work.

maybe one of our american posters can clarify what they would receive in the US, but i know that at least in the UK i havent had to worry one jot about organising and paying for my treatment and rehabilitation. i just have to do the hard of work of actually recovering.

i just think the level of care is unaceptable, there should be more attention to detail on what the patient's feel & to make sure they are cared for in the right manor

Nobody would argue with that, but the reason it does not happen is not because the staff who are there, don't care or can't be bothered; it happens because there just aren't enough staff. It's not physically possible for the ones who are there, to give the level of care that should be given.

Indeed there should be someone doing so; but there's nobody there to do it. Blaming the people who are there because there should be someone else there as well, is rather silly.

Of course.

The actual info the OP needs is:

If you aren't happy with the care your Nan is receiving, ask to speak to the nurse looking after her and discuss your concerns.

If you aren't happy with the response ask to speak to the Ward Manager and discuss your concerns.

If you're still not happy go and see the Patient Advice and Liason Service, they can eiter help you or placate you, depending on the circumstances. http://www.sheffield.nhs.uk/pals/

Have you tried any of this Hemsvilla FC?

I used PALS at RHH a few years ago when I was having problems getting appointments to see my neurosurgeon. They really helped.

Edited by scoop

i just think the level of care is unaceptable, there should be more attention to detail on what the patient's feel & to make sure they are cared for in the right manor, i dont think you should have to pay to watch there telly's either shouldnt everyone have the right to take their mind off everything that is happening to them and have abit of normality for (FREE?)

having access to a telly isnt something that is classed as a life saving expense though is it?

you are correct that the fee for the telly is silly, it was on Watchdog not long ago. but the NHS is there to save your life and help you get better, not provide you with entertainment whilst you are ill. personally i ignored the telly and listened to the radio on my ipod....

it seems that the things you want are things that the NHS cannot afford - frivolities rather than necessities. the only way to get those is to pay privately.

attention to detail also has to involve the patient. when you go to your GP, you still have to tell them what is wrong before they can issue a diagnosis.

having a fully paid, fully qualified nurse doing laps of the ward all day asking if people are ok (when most are likely to say yes anyway) is a waste of money that the NHS cannot afford.

maybe one of our american posters can clarify what they would receive in the US, but i know that at least in the UK i havent had to worry one jot about organising and paying for my treatment and rehabilitation. i just have to do the hard of work of actually recovering.

I have friends in the US with Type 1 diabetes who cannot get insurance and have to beg drug companies and charities for the insulin they need to stay alive. They get no preventative healthcare to avoid the complications of diabetes. The fear of being ill, and needing treatment, and facing bankruptcy to pay their medical bills dominates their lives. The NHS has its flaws but we get a lot for our money.