Laptop battery problems (E Machines E 625)

Justin Smith

We`ve only had our E Machines E 625 laptop for just over a year and the battery (which doesn`t actually get used that much) seems to have failed.

It`ll say it`s fully charged (which it should be after being connected to the mains for 10 hours whilst in Sleep mode) but after 10 mins use the battery level will suddenly drop right down and it`ll report you only have 5 mins left, then, after about 5 mins, it`ll switch off.

Fortunately we bought it from Coles so it has a two year warranty, but taking it in and collecting it is a pain, plus we`ll be without it, so does anyone know of any issues with these machines ? Or is it a software issue ?

Generally, most manufacturer's only guarantee the battery life for 12 months (surprise, surprise!). I understand Dell offer extended warranties but you pay for that at time of purchase (of a Dell Laptop).

Looks like you will have to get a new one but if it has always been like that it could be more serious. If you have left the battery in and kept the laptop plugged in to the mains all the time you are deteriorating the life of the battery. When you get a new battery always check the manufacturing date as they are rotting from the point they leave the factory. Hope this helps.

swarfendor43

PS http://www.tech-no-media.com/2009/07/how-to-extend-lithium-ion-laptop.html

Edited by swarfendor43

Generally, most manufacturer's only guarantee the battery life for 12 months (surprise, surprise!). I understand Dell offer extended warranties but you pay for that at time of purchase (of a Dell Laptop).

Looks like you will have to get a new one but if it has always been like that it could be more serious. If you have left the battery in and kept the laptop plugged in to the mains all the time you are deteriorating the life of the battery. When you get a new battery always check the manufacturing date as they are rotting from the point they leave the factory. Hope this helps.

swarfendor43

Surely Coles will sort it under their 2 year warranty though ?

That`s why we bought it from them !

swarfendor43

Interesting article. I knew that NiCads suffered from a similar type problem, (i.e. needing full discharge/recharge cycles to maintain performance, in fact we did some experiments on AA battery performance a few years ago) but I didn`t know that this also applied to Lithium. Am I understanding it right that the battery lasts longer if actually being used ? If so I`ll also try not to leave the laptop permanently plugged into the mains.

Surely that doesn`t apply to a rechargeable battery though ? ! ?

I`ll get onto them and see what they say. If they get funny about it I`ll get pretty annoyed !

Made of chemicals that will go inert after an indetermined amount of time.

Many laptop manufacturers will only cover a battery for 3 months.

I think you'll be buying a new battery, personally. :(

Made of chemicals that will go inert after an indetermined amount of time.

Many laptop manufacturers will only cover a battery for 3 months.

I think you'll be buying a new battery, personally. :(

What the hell are is any manufacturer doing selling a product with a rechargeable battery which is so unreliable ?

Personally I`d accept less battery life for a longer lasting battery, if you get what I mean !

if you have never used the battery and always used the power cord ,then the battery has been constantly charging and not discharging which causes the battery to become bad.

battery's are designed to charge and discharge ,you will find a cheap replacement on ebay.

I thought that was only NiCads, still, you learn something every day I suppose......